Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th June 2017, 09:51 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome
Over-the-counter Ryzen systems available?

It's almost three months since the Ryzen announcements​ and most likely about six to nine months since mother board vendors​ were​ aware of all the CPUs. Has anyone seen any over-the-counter systems on the market?

So far I am knowledgeable​ about one early Fedora user's experience.

I was hoping to purchase components to build my replacement system for mid-July.

Should I be looking at September as a more reasonable date?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 18th June 2017, 11:56 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Over-the-counter Ryzen systems available?

https://www.ibuypower.com/Site/LandingPage/AMD-Ryzen

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...top&Submit=ENE

I have no clue if newegg would deliver in Montreal.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:58 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I understand from the AMD youtube marketing presentations that DELL, Lenova, ASUS and Others will be marketing RYZEN desktops. I am hoping that user experiences would be sufficient to indicate that the bleeding edge problems have been resolved and its a go to build one's own system.
I have PS, case, keyboard,mouse,software, and disks. I don't want W10 as I have no need for W10.

Old 19th June 2017, 09:06 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I reckon as and when ZaReason start selling Ryzen systems in addition to their existing AMD FX model for Linux it would be a good time to consider purchasing.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:58 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

I have a different problem here - CentOS.
Personally, I would get Ryzen 5 1600, a lot of performance for the money with quite reasonable TDP. Sadly, CentOS support is nonexistent and I'm not sure it will get there in 7.4.

So yeah, I have time.
Old 19th June 2017, 10:24 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Maybe elrepo contributors will code something useable soon. Either that or wait for CentOS 10 or 11 the rate rhel update kernels themselves
Old 19th June 2017, 07:27 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You don't suppose that the delays are due to tooling and to raw materials? Or is the delay due to supply contracts that the mentioned vendors have. No vendor wants a lot of expensive hardware hanging around, particularly when the Ryzen systems may cut into profits.

Old 19th June 2017, 08:29 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Maybe elrepo contributors will code something useable soon. Either that or wait for CentOS 10 or 11 the rate rhel update kernels themselves
We will see. It would be fine if it was possible to just install the minimal system and do the update for supported kernel later, but that's not possible either.
There may be custom ISOs with latest kernel, but I'm no fan of similar solutions. RHEL ships 3.10 with backported stuff for a reason, so I don't know if I would go that route.
In this case, just using Fedora till later RHEL\CENT is out seems more reasonable.
But these are little problems.
Old 19th June 2017, 10:13 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Simple answer? profit margins.

Why? Because apart from the agreements some OEM have/had with Intel, Intel market their products far more aggressively. When was the last time you saw an advert during commercial breaks for AMD starring an actor like Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory?

Intel purchase far more online and print-based advertising space, billboards as well

Intel and MS also sponsor a lot of TV dramas for product placement. You're doing well if you can go 48 hours without seeing an MS advert, Intel advert, or an advert for either using Intel components with their logo and chime played at the start.

Additionally, AMD haven't really had anything decent enough in the last decade for OEMs to sell their APU or CPU in large enough volumes and be able to profit from them. Their mid-range and budget options were more power hungry and less potent than Intel's offerings. Only gamers were interested in the high-end unlocked APU and FX-Series and most enthusiasts build their own systems or have one made for them.

The fact these well known OEM are now interested tells you something. Yes there was the occasional AMD powered low to mid-range notebook from all of them but a really insignificant number of AMD options compared to the Intel product options they offered.

With Ryzen, AMD are able to compete for the time being again until Intel move the goal posts yet again. I'd expect the bigger developments to come from the likes of ARM, Qualcomm and MediaTek. However, AMD systems will still be in the minority of sales.

Finally, consider the logistics. the delay may be partly down to product development and testing times. large OEMs will not ship a system running new components without extensive testing, establishing the necessary support infrastructure for it first. Typically, this will take anything up to 6 months before products fill the supply channels with sufficient stock levels and hit the online stores and retail shelves you see as a consumer.
Old 20th June 2017, 02:04 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Simple answer? profit margins.

Why? Because apart from the agreements some OEM have/had with Intel, Intel market their products far more aggressively. When was the last time you saw an advert during commercial breaks for AMD starring an actor like Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory?

Intel purchase far more online and print-based advertising space, billboards as well

Intel and MS also sponsor a lot of TV dramas for product placement. You're doing well if you can go 48 hours without seeing an MS advert, Intel advert, or an advert for either using Intel components with their logo and chime played at the start.

Additionally, AMD haven't really had anything decent enough in the last decade for OEMs to sell their APU or CPU in large enough volumes and be able to profit from them. Their mid-range and budget options were more power hungry and less potent than Intel's offerings. Only gamers were interested in the high-end unlocked APU and FX-Series and most enthusiasts build their own systems or have one made for them.

The fact these well known OEM are now interested tells you something. Yes there was the occasional AMD powered low to mid-range notebook from all of them but a really insignificant number of AMD options compared to the Intel product options they offered.

With Ryzen, AMD are able to compete for the time being again until Intel move the goal posts yet again. I'd expect the bigger developments to come from the likes of ARM, Qualcomm and MediaTek. However, AMD systems will still be in the minority of sales.

Finally, consider the logistics. the delay may be partly down to product development and testing times. large OEMs will not ship a system running new components without extensive testing, establishing the necessary support infrastructure for it first. Typically, this will take anything up to 6 months before products fill the supply channels with sufficient stock levels and hit the online stores and retail shelves you see as a consumer.
From what you wrote, I suspect that it's either "back to school" time or Christmas time before we see Ryzen from HP, Dell, Lenova, ASUS, Acer, etc.

Old 20th June 2017, 09:48 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

most likely yes
Old 24th June 2017, 01:59 AM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I have no clue if newegg would deliver in Montreal.
There is a Canadian newegg.ca site that does of course deliver in Montreal.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

There is also a Canadian chain of computer component stores with 2 locations in the Montreal area

http://www.canadacomputers.com/searc...ords=AMD+Ryzen

If special ordering online you can pick up in store for free.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:08 PM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox

Your post is quite confusing Leslie. In your subject line you talk about the availability of over-the-counter Ryzen systems and then you talk about building a system yourself with components. These are two separate things.

Quote:
I was hoping to purchase components to build my replacement system for mid-July.

Should I be looking at September as a more reasonable date?
The components are available right now. To build your own machine you only need a Ryzen CPU and an AM4 socket MB. All other components would be standard (DDR4 memory, case, PS, SSD/HDD, video card).

I had a look at the Canadian NewEgg site and there are 7 Ryzen CPU models and 61 different AM4 socket MBs in all price ranges. Canada Computers has the same 7 CPUs but only 9 AM4 MBs. However they have locations in your area.

If you wanted to build you could do it right now.
Old 1st July 2017, 01:05 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Your post is quite confusing Leslie. In your subject line you talk about the availability of over-the-counter Ryzen systems and then you talk about building a system yourself with components. These are two separate things.

The components are available right now. To build your own machine you only need a Ryzen CPU and an AM4 socket MB. All other components would be standard (DDR4 memory, case, PS, SSD/HDD, video card).

I had a look at the Canadian NewEgg site and there are 7 Ryzen CPU models and 61 different AM4 socket MBs in all price ranges. Canada Computers has the same 7 CPUs but only 9 AM4 MBs. However they have locations in your area.

If you wanted to build you could do it right now.
I will not build my own system until I see Ryzen being sold by Dell, Lenova, etc, and that the users who bought same have favourable experiences.

When over-the-counter systems appear, there will be many who will be buying same, and they will post their experience. And by that time, from their experiences, and feedback to AMD, the AMD bios updates will have been improved and stabilized.

Currently I understand that there have been more than 10 updates.

No bleeding edge for me. Been there, done that, dont want to do that again.

Tags
overthecounter, ryzen, systems