Code:
-CentOS 7.3 - usage 209.57 MiB, 2 LTS kernels installed
-Manjaro - usage 110.70, 1 kernel installed
-Mint 17.3 - usage 94.73 MiB, 1 LTS kernel installed
-Fedora 25 - usage 200.67 MiB 3 kernels installed
-Fedora 26 - usage 228.77 MiB, 3 kernels installed
-Fedora Rawhide - 204.33MiB, 2 kernels installed
-Solus - 115.49 MiB, 3 LTS kernels
So yes, at a push allowing for new kernels being installed you could get away with a 500 MiB partition still even allowing for a distribution upgrade or a second OS sharing the same /boot. That is if you have the default keep only 3 most recent kernels policy in place.

I think 1 GiB /boot is really a belt and braces approach right now. That is unless RH developers know something we don't about the future of kernels and expect them to balloon in the next decade.

Kernel sizes have grown compared to older LTS kernel branches as indicated above (the exception being CentOS where they are larger anyhow). However, I don't see that kernels have grown enough yet that /boot really needs to be double the old recommended size of 500 MiB.

It would however possily be prudent to keep an eye on the contents of /boot. @nobody experienced an anomoly with a failed kernel cleanup recently. If that happened on a semi-regular basis, then /boot would soon fill up at 500 MiB.

As Ext4 also occupies some space for the inode table, journal etc. running critically short may cause issues in the future but even allowing for that you could allocate 750 MiB for example and have enough wiggle room.
Old 17th June 2017, 03:47 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 Server Install issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeArZ0z View Post
I selected the "Test this media & install Fedora 25" option which resulted in giving me the /dev/root not existing error.

For the following i used my ubuntu laptop.

For the usb tried the dd command:
Code:
 dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso of=/dev/sdb
(the device name is in fact sdb)

And got the error:
Code:
 Could not open 'Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso': File or directory not found
(Please note that this is not the exact code because I translated it from German)

I tried the dd command with both having the file on my laptop and having it on the usb itself. Both ways resulted in the same error above.

Did I make a mistake with the dd command?
YES
You must have root access. dd will not work to create an ISO with standard access.

You should use the following

Code:
sudo dd if=dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync
The bs=1M sets up a blocksize (at a time, read in 1meg blocks) for faster I/O.

The appended && sync is to force Linux to fully force the DD buffer to be written to the device. This sync command is needed if your USB stick (typical bulk purchase from BB or other mass marketer) does not have a LED to show writing activity. With and without a LED flashing on the stick, there is a tendency to pull the USB stick before all the buffered data has been written.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th June 2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: cache = buffer
Old 24th June 2017, 02:24 AM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 25 Server Install issue

Quote:
sudo dd if=dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync
Leslie are you aware there are two dds sudo dd if=dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-

Quote:
Could not open 'Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso': File or directory not found
This would suggest that the input file can't be found not that you don't have write permission to /dev.

Tags
fedora, install, server