Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th September 2017, 06:34 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: Linux is growing

I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of a new Dell XPS desktop tower w/ Windows 10 Pro
Old 18th September 2017, 11:14 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of a new Dell XPS desktop tower w/ Windows 10 Pro
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 19th September 2017, 12:20 AM
rclark Offline

windows_7firefox

. Your saying you was 'stuck' and couldn't buy the tower with a good OS on it right? . Part of the Linux problem of not being offered pre-loaded on computers for distribution in the big box stores... Know the feeling!

Recently, I bought a brand new $800 Dell i7 laptop for $600 and of course it had o' Win10 on it... First thing soon after cracking the lid and pressing the power button was wipe the SDD and installed with Linux Mint.... Everything just works as it should! Wonderful feeling.
Old 19th September 2017, 07:28 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Plenty of manufacturers offer Linux with new systems these days. Dell offer pre-installed Ubuntu and RH across a good range of desktops and notebooks.

The crux of the matter is that Microsoft still offer incentives to OEMs to ship Windows and advertise their systems as featuring the OS on the TV, in the press, high street and internet. So finding them isn't easy
Old 19th September 2017, 03:29 PM
rclark Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Yeah, I know they are out there and order one straight from Dell ... but try to find one pre-loaded with Linux that is on sale... Say during the holiday season or school sales where sometimes hunderds of dollars off. Easy enoughtto buy/wipe (for me anyway). My desktops I build up myself, laptops though you really just have to buy one.
Old 21st September 2017, 11:22 PM
NatLWalker Offline

The market share went down very slightly by last estimates on other resources. The desktop market share will remain middling for the foreseeable future. There just isnít a reason for any desktop user to switch, outside of curiosity and work/professional demands.

I think macOS really stole the market that would have been most eager to jump on Linux, and distorts desktops have been too volatile and slow to address that market properly. I think Ubuntuís success is telling, in that way.

In any case, I donít like Linux on laptops. The battery life takes a nosedive compared to Windows and macOS, and the trackpads almost never work as well (palm rejection, sensitivity, etc.). Graphics drivers are also worse, and things like display brightness are finicky (often the settings in KDE and GNOME done work at all, and it resets to full brightness every time you reboot).

I also had massive performance issues with Wayland, so I had to replace fedora on the laptop I use to run Linux with OpenSUSE and/or Ubuntu (both of which run fine, but I scrapped Ubuntu when I found out they were moving to Wayland and GNOME in 17.10 - avoiding potential issues in the future).

Iím not sold on preloaded laptops. I think for the most part they slap Ubuntu on it and call it a day, and it wonít have the kind of long term 1st party hardware support you get with Windows or macOS, where you can just install the old drivers on a new version of the OS and things just work flawlessly (especially on Windows).

I feel like I will save more money over the long term by just buying it with Windows, and running Linux in Hyper-V when needed.

Iím contemplating doing that soon, and putting my Windows HDD back in my Linux laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm the opposite. I install Fedora and run Windows in a VirtualBox VM when I need to. Which is only when I buy a new CD and rip it with EAC.

dd_wizard
Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post
when I buy a new CD and rip it with EAC
Why not use cdparanoia or cdda2wav in Linux? I've had good results with those tools.
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Doug G Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ripping a cd is one thing I don't do on windows. I've been using grip for the last 10 years or so, I'm always happy to see when it's still included in new fedora releases.

I do, however, use nero on windows to burn audio CD's from .wav files. It's the only burner I've found that automatically turns the .wav filename into cdtext, all the linux burners make you re-type the track name again to get it written to cdtext.