Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th September 2017, 04:31 AM
STARBASEn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 26 and GPU Distributed Computing

Hi All,

This is not a complaint but hopefully represents user experience information using the new Fedora 26 release. My systems work 24/7 doing distributed (grid) computing, among other things, using CPU and GPU assets via the boinc-client. I have observed that from Fedora release 25 to 26, the newer version uses mesa-OpenCL as default rather than the nVidia (and possibly the AMD/ATI) versions, and yet is not documented within the release notes, at least so far as I have noticed.

This has caused some of the boinc projects (einstein@home specifically) GPU work that I participate in to fail to process work units that ran fine in Fedora 25. Being unaware of why, I was informed by the project that mesa-OpenCL is, at this time, incompatible with the E@H application. My fix was of course to remove the mesa version and install the proprietary nVidia and cuda drivers rather than the rpmfusion akmod version although, without the mesa version, I think the rpmfusion drivers may work fine but I haven't tested yet.

My point is that perhaps this situation should be noted as part of the release notes and maybe indicate some known grid projects may not function properly using the mesa driver for opencl. I know that E@H is one that fails using the mesa driver at this time.
Old 14th September 2017, 11:54 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 26 and GPU Distributed Computing

Thanks for posting, however we're not connected directly to FedoraProject, so your suggestion about the Release Notes needs to go to them. You can find links to possible contact points in the drop-down menu above (right).
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:26 PM
STARBASEn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 26 and GPU Distributed Computing

Okay, will do. Thanks for the direction.

Tags
computing, distributed, fedora, gpu