Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 25th August 2017, 07:45 PM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox
Nvidia blob screwed YET AGAIN by the removal of a symbol in new kernel

Nvidia blob 304.135

Kernels 4.12.5 and up.

nvidia: Unknown symbol init_mm.

And it is not just me. Complaints are springing up on other sites already.

Here we go YET AGAIN and again and again.

Is this going to take YET ANOTHER 6 months to fix like last time?
Old 25th August 2017, 09:43 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Nvidia blob screwed YET AGAIN by the removal of a symbol in new kernel

yeah 4.12 is a pain in the backside for many other devices too. Not sure the benefits of pushing it stable 'for the longer term good' outweigh the current inconveniences users are encountering.

another example - the annoying kernel 4.12 specific Logitech Unified Receiver suspend issue means if I don't retain and use the 4.11.11 kernel, every time I boot my notebook I now have to unplug the receiver and replug it to get the TrackBall to work normally. So I'm currently deleting 4.12.5 as 4.12.8 installed from updates-testing is no better.

Imagine a user with limited mobility with a PC under a desk or on a desk away from their reach, they'd be up sh1t creek without a paddle
Old 26th August 2017, 02:12 AM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox

Ya and what really ticks me off is no one learned from the entire mtrr_add and mtrr_del fiasco back in November of 2015.

Oh they fixed that real dam quick for the current and 340xx nvidia drivers, and those of us with 6/7 version cards had to wait 6 months for them to fix 304xx. And current and 340xx are fixed real dam quick once again.

Nvidia: Its the kernel developers fault. (even though it was fixed real dam quick in the newer drivers.)

Kernal folks: Its nvidia's fault. (even though it was fixed real dam quick in the newer drivers.)

RPMFusion: Its everyone else's fault. (But at least they tried to help by making the symbols visible as a placeholder.)

I have no doubt that it going to be another 6 months to fix this symbol (init_mm).

Another thing that ticks me off is the entire "Oh why don't you suffer with the nouveau driver (and just abandon any hope of using the cards 3D features) if you are intent on using old hardware.", attitude.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t.../post/5205120/

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAND HERE WE GO AGAIN......

RPMFUSION: Please file a bug at NVIDIA https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4629
NVIDIA: Aint our problem https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...init_mm-quot-/

Last edited by kingsombra; 26th August 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 27th August 2017, 10:00 AM
nightuser Offline

linuxfirefox

I fixed the problem on my system and posted proposed solution to the NVidia Forum (the link for your post). It works for me, but it would be great if someone could test it too. If you are interested, let me know the results.
Old 27th August 2017, 10:10 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

thanks for sharing that. just for clarity and ease here is a direct link to nightuser's specific post containing the proposed fix
Old 27th August 2017, 08:18 PM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox

Oh man thanks so much nightuser.

Although I do know a little bit about C code and how to read a diff report, I'm a bit of a newb and not exactly sure how to go about applying the patch.

I see your diff makes one change to nv-linux.h and one to nv-vtophys.c

Do you just make the changes to existing files that should already be there then "akmods --force"?

Thanks.

EDIT: Grrr, I might not be able to try this out for about a week and a half. Vacation (and other chores around it) coming up.

Last edited by kingsombra; 28th August 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 1st September 2017, 06:59 PM
nightuser Offline

linuxfirefox

Sorry for the delay.

Yeah, you can apply with `patch -Np1 -i /path/to/patch/file` and then rebuild with `akmods`.

However, there is a discussion currently on RPMFusion's bug tracker ( https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4629 ). They have a slightly modified version of my "patch" (with support for older kernels), but there is a problem: no one wants to maintain the old legacy driver anymore. So, unless someone takes the lead, there will be problems with that driver. Unfortunately, I cannot help with it, because my primary distro is not Fedora, but I may try to fix some simple incompatibilities on the source level (well, I still use my old 7900GT sometimes).
Old 2nd September 2017, 05:34 PM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox

I don't have an RPM fusion account. Could you post a couple of comments for me? BTW these are not supposed to be mean, but rather just a plea from a long time 304xx user.

First I am not sure if the current nouveau driver is completely supportive of all the 3D features of 6/7 series cards as Sérgio Basto implied. I will be willing to listen if someone actually on the nouveau team actually said this is the case. Until there is confirmation of this, the nvidia blobs will be needed. But once there is confirmation, then I would be willing to go all nouveau.

As for upgrading the cards, newegg is showing a good base geforce 700 series is about $35. Since I would need to upgrade 3 machines, that would be $75 that I would rather not have to spend.

If RPMfusion doesn't want to support 304xx anymore then they really should remove it from https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...tegoryHowto%29
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:20 PM
nightuser Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't have either, but it seems that they may support it for now. This bug is quite active, so they may resolve it in a few days.

Although, according to http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142 , the official support for 304xx ends at the end of this year.

So, nouveau seems like the only option. Unfortunately, I was not able to find OpenGL support status for 6/7 series (nv40 generation), but https://mesamatrix.net/ shows that 8/9 series (nv50 generation) is supported well enough.
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:52 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

there is another option, depending on what you use the 3D for you may want to consider CentOS 7. Reason being, the proprietary drivers should just work for the life of your hardware without all this fuss every 6 months. That's the reason I'm using it with my AMD hardware.

The kernels while based on a much older branch are no less secure than Fedora's because all critical security updates are rolled out for RHEL and CentOS too.
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:19 PM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox

I think I am going to go with using nouveau.

This has kind of opened my eyes...

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

Notice there is no TODOs or partials left under 3D features for NV40 cards (6/7 series.)

I didn't think they were that far along. Last I heard was it still was very lacking in 3D support.
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:03 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

if it isn't too much hassle to do so, try it and see, if the opensource 3D really is that good now for your hardware then kudos to the nouveau guys. note the power management table though, there are evidently potential issues with memory timings, temperature readings and fan control for NV40 hardware.

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:10 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

It's not the 3D support that is lacking in Nouveau as much as overall stability.
But if you use WM w/o compositor and don't play 3D stuff, it may be a good option.

As for RHEL7 and clones, I finally got to update to 7.4 through CR and there were completely zero problems. Partially because I have my repo priorities properly set.
Also, Mesa is now at 17.0, so if appropriate OSS driver has support for later Mesa, it's utilized now.
Sadly, but as expected - no proper Ryzen support there.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:20 AM
kingsombra Offline

windows_7firefox

Actually I have found that using nouveau with compiz actually works cleaner at least on my hardware.
Old 3rd September 2017, 04:14 PM
kldixon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have a slightly newer card and have always used nouveau. However, I ran into an issue with a standard Workstation install. F26 now uses the modesetting xserver driver in place of the nouveau xserver driver by default and my GPU did not like it.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1470710

The installed system worked with Wayland but I ran into the same issue if I used an xorg session. Switching back to the nouveau driver worked as with anaconda.

Tags
blob , kernel , nvidia , removal , screwed , symbol