Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 13th June 2017, 07:30 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Installation of Canon Printer LBP6000 (& LBP6018)

Hi.

Finally I installed my Canon printer LBP6000 on my Fedora 24 X64 bit ! All previous efforts failed !

Canon released new version of driver for this printer. It is available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...vers_downloads

Download compressed folder. Then extract it by Archive manager or command line.

Resulted folder from extraction contains: packages for Debian & Debian based distro. & packages for RPM based ditro. (each type in separated sub-folder). Also, it contain sub-folder for documentations (user manual). More interestingly it contain other sub-folder which containing SOURCE CODE for driver binary packages !

Yes, Canon printer drivers for Linux become open source ! I found this on GitHub:

https://github.com/Magister/cndrvcups-capt

Now let we deal with installation process. Apply the following steps, one by one:

1) Install the common module for CUPS driver.

Quote:
sudo dnf install /path/to/cndrvcups-common-3.21-1.x86_64.rpm
It need the following dependencies:

glibc.i686
libgcc.i686
libstdc++.i686
nss-softokn-freebl.i686
libcrypt-nss.i686

2) Install the CAPT printer driver module.

Quote:
sudo dnf install /path/to/cndrvcups-capt-2.71-1.x86_64.rpm
It need the following dependencies:

libxml2.i686
popt.i686
xz-libs.i686
zlib.i686

3) Restart CUPS.

Quote:
sudo service cups restart
4) Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler.

Quote:
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP6000 -P /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSLBP6018CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59687 -E
5) Register the printer in the ccpd daemon setup file.

Quote:
sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o /dev/usb/lp0
7) Start ccpd daemon.

Quote:
sudo service ccpd start
8) Now you can connect the printer to PC & switch it ON. Be patient & wait some seconds, till a “second” printer added: “LBP6000-LBP6018”. Please ignore second printer & do not use it at all. Use only 1st printer “LBP6000” for printing.

9) Configure your system to start the Canon ccpd daemon automatically (very very important):

We have 2 methods for this. Use only one of them:

a- either adding chkconfig support to ccpd script [recommended]:

Quote:
vi /etc/rc.d/init.d/ccpd
then add following 2 header lines, conveniently just bellow 1st line of original script which contain "#!/bin/sh":

Quote:
# chkconfig: 345 99 01
# description: ccpd script
then use:

Quote:
sudo chkconfig --add ccpd
b- or <For a distribution, like Fedora, with a /usr/bin/systemctl command> create a /etc/rc.d/rc.local file in the editor [NOT recommended - see note 3 in 3rd post in this guide "Problems"]:

Quote:
sudo vi /etc/rc.d/rc.local
enter insert mode of VIM by typing, for example, “I”, then add the following:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/ccpd start
press “Esc” to return to command mode of VIM
save file & exit vim by “:wq” then “enter”

Next, update the version of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

Quote:
sudo chmod 777 /etc/rc.d/rc.local
10) Status Monitor (Optional):

A) Manually Running Monitor:
The Canon status monitor can alert you to any issues with your printer. This can be run directly on the terminal by issuing this command:
captstatusui -P <Your printer name as specified in cups>

Quote:
captstatusui -P LBP6000
You will be presented with the User Interface and it should say ready to print. If not make sure the printer is switched on.

b) Running Monitor on Startup:

If we want the monitor to run each time the computer is switched on we can add it to the as a startup applications by:

- searching for and running "Startup Applciations" from system setting.

- click the Add button. & enter the following entry:

Name: Canon Printing Status Monitor

Command: captstatusui -P <Your printer name as specified in cups> -e

Quote:
captstatusui -P LBP6000 -e
Description (Comment): Hidden until error occurs

The -e option causes the monitor to stay hidden until an error occurs like when you run out of paper.

11) To launch Canon Driver GUI, where you can modify setting of Canon printer(s), open terminal & type, as a regular user, cngplp

Quote:
$ cngplp
More elegant, is to create entry for driver GUI in applications menu. On Cinnamon DE:

- right click on applications menu

- click on “Configure...”

- click on “Menu”

- click on “Open menu editor”

- select, for example, “Preferences”

- add new entry, for example:

Name: Canon Printer’s Driver UI

Command: cngplp

Comment: Setting Control of Canon Printer

-------------------------------

Please notice the following:

A) the key point here which make installation easy without problems, are:

- use of DNF for installation of local .rpm packages. DNF will check for needed dependencies according to version of your Fedora !
&
- automation of starting ccpd daemon on system boot by using systemV (step no. 9)

B) I used name of LBP6000 while PPD file has "LBP6018" within it. This is normal for Canon.

If you go to install LBP6018 printer, then use same PPD (which contain "LBP6018), but use LBP6018 as name for printer in step 4 instead of LBP6000, as following:

Quote:
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP6018 -P /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSLBP6018CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59687 -E
C) this guide written specifically for Fedora. It may be be not suitable for other distro. in many aspects other than DNF. For instance, in command example in point (B) above, Fedora 24 & above need to use "-P" while in other distros. it should be "-m".

D) I used in 1st 2 steps of this guide (step 1 & step 2) .x86_64 packages because my system is x64 bit. If your system is x32 bit, then you should use, instead, x32 bit (.i386)

E) at time of writing this guide, driver packages versions were: cndrvcups-common-3.21-1 & cndrvcups-capt-2.71-1. So, please notice that you need to change version numbers to that of higher versions of driver packages that may released in future.

F) Canon printer driver, in this guide, is a user level driver (NOT kernel level driver). This mean that kernel upgrading by system update or system upgrade should not block this driver from it's work.

G) this guide may be useful in assisting you to install other Canon printers model ......

Last edited by User808; 7th October 2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 4th October 2017, 07:45 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Problems

1) ccpd hangs: Sometimes ccpd hangs and the queue just says "Processing since ..."

In this case try a manual restart:

Quote:
sudo pkill -9 -x ccpd
sudo pkill -9 -x captmoncnabc
sudo service ccpd start
2) if you, wrongly, use second printer “LBP6000-LBP6018”, you will be unable to print further more! In this case you need to delete second printer, then power OFF/ON your printer & wait till second printer re-added again.

3) regarding Fedora Linux distro., currently, at time of writing this note, it is not recommended to use "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" method to start ccpd daemon automatically, because it can lead, due to bug in Fedora, to freeze booting process so that your system GUI login screen &, thence, DE would not launched ! This disastrous error occurring suddenly & without any warning & you can not expect at which booting process you will face it ! So, please use, instead, method of "adding chkconfig support to ccpd script".

Last edited by User808; 7th October 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 4th October 2017, 07:54 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Uninstalling LBP6000B Canon Printer Driver

To uninstalling the driver of this printer, follow these steps, one by one:

1) Delete the registered printer from the ccpd daemon setup file.

Quote:
sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -x LBP6000
2) Delete the printer's spooler registration.

Quote:
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x LBP6000
3) Uninstall the CAPT printer driver module.

Quote:
sudo dnf remove cndrvcups-capt-2.71-1
4) Uninstall the common module for CUPS drivers.

Quote:
sudo dnf remove cndrvcups-common-3.21-1
5) If you used "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" method to start ccpd daemon automatically at booting of your system, then remove /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

Quote:
sudo rm -i /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Otherwise, If you, instead, used "adding chkconfig support to ccpd script" method, then no thing to do further.

6) remove X 32 bit architecture dependencies that pulled by DNF during installation of driver packages (optional). Most of these dependencies will not removed by DNF when it used to remove driver packages.

7) delete "Status Monitor" from application menu, if you was already create it.

8) delete "Canon Driver GUI" from application menu, if you was already create it.

Last edited by User808; 7th October 2017 at 12:50 PM.

Tags
canon , installation , lbp6000 , printer