jpenguin Online

What email service do you use?

Just curious what you all use?

I have a few

* Gmail
* Fastmail
* Posteo.de
* My school use office365
* Apple icloud (phasing this one put for posteo)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 17th June 2017, 04:00 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: What email service do you use?

Primary is yahoo.com along with "privacy badger" to cut down on third party adverts. I let the yahoo.com adverts through.

Secondary is gmail. I receive stuff on it, and rarely send from it as I don't like the Google tracking.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 17th June 2017, 04:03 PM
donatom Online

linuxchrome

I use gmail -- with privacy badger on the firefox browser.
Old 17th June 2017, 06:10 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I use the email service from my ISP (Comcast). It's part of the service I'm already paying for, might as well use it.

I don't use Comcast's webmail application, though, since I despise webmail in general. Instead I wrote a Java program to grab the mail from the Comcast IMAP server and store it locally on my machine in mbox format. I then read the mail in Alpine, and I can send mail in Alpine as well, via Comcast's SMTP server, since Alpine has built-in support for SMTP server authentication. I actually could use Alpine to connect directly to Comcast's IMAP server for reading mail, but I prefer to not have active connections open like that (which can be slow sometimes). It's much faster reading them locally.
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 17th June 2017, 11:56 PM
Doug G Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I use godaddy to host my own domain mail servers. Reasonably priced, up to 10 domains IIRC. Has worked fine for the last few years, prior to that I ran my own mail servers but that became a PITA. Godaddy uses MS Exchange Server, I think.

I also have gmail and yahoo mail, oh, and aol mail, but seldom use any of these.
Old 18th June 2017, 12:45 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I've used Gmail for years.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 22nd June 2017, 01:08 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I mainly use Outlook but it's painfully slow. For that reason, I have my own email service which I pay a web host for. I only have 1gb of space in total but 10gb of bandwidth so I manage it really well and it is very nice to have a proper email service! No ads, no slow rendering.
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:58 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I use a couple via IMAP, never webmail interfaces. I get what you all mean about IMAP being a little slow at times but if you leave the email client running as a background process and synchronising at an interval of your choice it negates the message access speed issue without having to setup alpine or use a paid web host.
Old 22nd June 2017, 05:25 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I use Comcast mail and read/send with Thunderbird. I also have Gmail and have it auto forwarded to my Comcast mail, I don't send from Gmail. I've had a Yahoo mail account since it existed but rarely use it.

I use Kshowmail as a mail checker, it's old and not available anymore, but you can manually install the files from the old RPM and it still works. I like it because you can preview mail and even delete mail from the server with it. You can also blacklist addresses for auto-deletion.

Last edited by SomeDamFool; 22nd June 2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13th July 2017, 09:21 PM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I use Protonmail.

I started out with Tutanota and Protonmail, testing which one felt right. Both are pretty good, but Protonmail has become really good the last year. Very happy with their service. I've also started using their VPN.
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 — Fedora Server 26
Raspberry Pi 3 — Fedora Server 26
Old 29th July 2017, 03:14 PM
tryfedoraa Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

i think these are the top 5 (by users)
  • live.com
  • gmail.com
  • fastmail.com
  • hushmail.com
  • inbox.com
Old 29th July 2017, 08:21 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Well, I have a few email accounts that I use for different things.

Most of the public stuff except when I think it will lead to lots of spam, I have an old (I mean old) MSN account that I got way back on one of my first dial-up accounts. It's still active, even though I haven't used MSN for 20 years

My important/personal email that only a few people have the address for is with my current ISP. Included with internet access...

My other accounts, I use as "throwaway" accounts that I don't care if they get spammed or not. once the spam gets heavy, I delete the account and set up a new one. Those I use gmail or MS hotmail/outlook Let them get hit with all the spam crap.
Old 8th August 2017, 06:08 AM
Meowth Online

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I have around 10 gmail accounts no joke.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:14 AM
BillGradwohl Offline

linuxchrome

Gmail hosts my two domains and I really like their web interface. I used to use Thunderbird when I hosted my own Qmail servers, but that was years ago.
Old 10th August 2017, 04:40 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My experience with gmail has been flakey and frustrating. As long as I accessed my gmail accounts from my main current computer in this city, all was fine, but when I tried to access my gmail account on a trip to New Zealand, I was locked out of my account. To verify myself, it asked me the date that I had opened that gmail account, which was quite out of my memory range, and then wouldn't open. When I accessed the gmail account with a different operating system from this city, it was fine and emailed me to that effect but allowed access to the account. When I tried to access the account from a city in a different state using the same operating system, I had the same verification issues as before and was denied access to the account. There appeared to be some geographical issue. This sort of unreliability encouraged me to pay for a private email address from an email provider (fastmail.com) and since then no such problems have arisen.