FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Shutter screenshot application

Hi,

Just a quick question:

Is shutter (still) available under Fedora?

When i click on this link on the Shutter Download page, i get a page saying:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on the server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.
    Thanks!
    My laptop:
    MSI GE70-2PE * Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ * Kingston 16 GB RAM * Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M * Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shutter screenshot application

Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Shutter screenshot application

quick question
    quick Answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in the fedora repo as @ f27. I don't know the development status. Last I heard it doesn't work with wayland but should be ok if you are using X.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's bad news reading that link. also in another thread i posted is was suggested that people had issues with wayland and replacing it for Xorg.
    My laptop:
    MSI GE70-2PE * Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ * Kingston 16 GB RAM * Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M * Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good example of how things evolve in the Linux world. Xorg has been dated for a long time and has outlasted many attempts to replace it. Wayland seems to have major momentum, but a major change like this does not happen without a period of sorting out the issues.

If enough of the other upstream solution suppliers buy in and support Wayland, things will eventually re-stabalize ( to the extend "stable" applies in the open source world ).

However, one of the outcomes of this type of evolution is that the applications developed for "X" which have reduced or completely lost their development community will be left behind.

Looking at the "Shutter" website it appears that the last release occurred more than three years ago. It may be that you would be better off looking for an alternative solution that has active development activity.

Its too bad that a perfectly functional solution fades away, but that is a characteristic of a world based on source code compatibility (open source) rather than binary compatibility ( Microsoft??).

The above is my perspective on the Linux world we live in, others may completely disagree and that is another example of the joys of the "Open Source" world.

PS, Or you can continue to run "X" in Fedora, its still available at the login prompt.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB HD/ Intel HD 2000/ fc39.x86_64
    Tower:GigaByte x570 / Ryzen 5900x 3.7Ghz x12/ 64GB/ 17.5TB HD/ Radeon RX 580/ fc39.x86_64
    Server:GigaByte B450M / Ryzen 5600G 4.4Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 24.5TB HD/ Vega 7 / fc39.x86_64
    Embedded: ASUS Tinkerboard / ARM RK3288 1.8 GHz x4/ 2GB / 32GB SD/ Mali-T764/ deb12.armhf

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you try to use " recordmydesktop"?
    that can solve the issue for you,and it is on the DNF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFedora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the "Shutter" website it appears that the last release occurred more than three years ago. It may be that you would be better off looking for an alternative solution that has active development activity.
    Wrong! Read this update and you will see it is still alive, up and running1

PS, Or you can continue to run "X" in Fedora, its still available at the login prompt.
    I think i give Xorg a shot. Ill test it first in a virtual machine ofcourse..

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FFedora
    have you try to use " recordmydesktop"?
    that can solve the issue for you,and it is on the DNF.
    That only records my desktop to a movie file isn't it? I like Shutter for the rich features it has. And i'm used to it.
    My laptop:

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use to work with Shutter for long time,But when you install the software it make downgrade.
    So the Only close software that I use now and it make the job is:

GNOME Screenshot is a simple utility that lets you take pictures of your computer screen. Screenshots can be of your whole screen, any specific application, or a selected rectangular area. You can also copy the captured screenshot directly into the GNOME clipboard and paste it into other applications.

GNOME Screenshot allows you to take screenshots even when it's not open: just press the PrtSc button on your keyboard, and a snapshot of your whole screen will be saved to your Pictures folder. Hold Alt while pressing PrtSc and you will get a screenshot of only the currently selected window.
    You can install it from the software option.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@nomko says:
    Wrong! Read this update and you will see it is still alive, up and running1
    The page you reference claims a recent release, but the latest news item on the page is Dec 2014. The latest source package available for download is August 2014.

It may be someone has plans for revival, but there are clear indications of less than active development.

I really don't care one way or the other, just trying to provide advice on how to navigate thru the oceans and reefs of the open source world.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB HD/ Intel HD 2000/ fc39.x86_64
    Tower:GigaByte x570 / Ryzen 5900x 3.7Ghz x12/ 64GB/ 17.5TB HD/ Radeon RX 580/ fc39.x86_64
    Server:GigaByte B450M / Ryzen 5600G 4.4Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 24.5TB HD/ Vega 7 / fc39.x86_64
    Embedded: ASUS Tinkerboard / ARM RK3288 1.8 GHz x4/ 2GB / 32GB SD/ Mali-T764/ deb12.armhf

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shutter is available to install with dnf and works find under xorg. It doesn't work in Wayland. So your options are a) use xorg instead of Wayland until Wayland is a bit more mature (although shutter will likely never work as I doubt anyone will do the dev work) or b) continue to use wayland and find a wayland compatible screenshot application,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    shutter is available to install with dnf and works find under xorg. It doesn't work in Wayland. So your options are a) use xorg instead of Wayland until Wayland is a bit more mature (although shutter will likely never work as I doubt anyone will do the dev work) or b) continue to use wayland and find a wayland compatible screenshot application,
    I also experienced the same case in wayland with shutter
    Maybe you can try using gnome shell extension screnshoot
    https://github.com/OttoAllmendinger/...ll-screenshot/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if all you need is a screen shot maybe scrot would work until shutter gets updated in fedora?
    x--x--x
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    Freedom is never Free.
    Pat Jr.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone.

I just like to confirm that Shutter software works fine with Fedora 27.

FFedora