<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora 25 Mate Spin - Multiple X Sessions
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 25 Mate Spin - Multiple X Sessions

I just updated from F24 to F25 and now X is not working as it should. I have dual monitors, both running at 1920x1080 using the proprietary nvidia drivers from RPMFusion. My setup is running separate X sessions, one per monitor. I am not using Ximerama, nor can I slide windows between monitors, which I have no need. Hence the separate X Sessions.

After a Fedora 24 update several months ago, the top monitor no longer had a background, just a black screen. Not really a problem because I could still run Kodi on it in full screen mode just fine, which is really the main function of the 2nd/Top monitor. Since upgrading to F25, not only is the screen black, but it is mostly just dead. I can no longer get any menus or panels to appear. And, to make matters worse, when running Kodi on the top monitor, it causes BOTH monitors to rapidly flash roughly 3 times per second, and all Window Manager handles disappear on the main monitor's windows as well (Not just Kodi, ANYTHING running on the top monitor creates this effect). I have tested many configurations and as long as I keep only one X Display, both monitors it will work, but then it gives the ability to drag windows from one screen to the other, which I don't want at all. I really need to keep them totally separate, which I have had this configuration working perfectly for several years.

Is this a Mate bug? I thought maybe it was a nVidia bug at first, and even manually downgraded it, but to no avail which is why I believe it to be a Mate or Xorg bug.

If anyone has any suggestions that I can try to fix this, I would certainly appreciate it greatly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 25 Mate Spin - Multiple X Sessions

Nobody? Am I the only one using multiple X sessions with Mate? What about KDE, is it working okay with KDE under F25? I will switch DEs if I have to. I really need this functionality. What about Fedora 26, are multiple X Sessions working there? I will upgrade to 26 and someone can verify it works there.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a laptop so can't test with multiple monitors, but I just used ctrl+alt+F2 to open a new console and used "startx -- :1" to launch a new xsession with different users, 1 running Window Maker and the other Gnome, which worked fine.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say something has changed which means your xorg config files are no longer valid and need some tweaking. I had a similar thing when upgrading to F26 where my graphics driver changed which in turn changed my display name from eDP1 to eDP-1 breaking my xrandr commands in .xsession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I'm on a laptop so can't test with multiple monitors, but I just used ctrl+alt+F2 to open a new console and used "startx -- :1" to launch a new xsession with different users, 1 running Window Maker and the other Gnome, which worked fine.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say something has changed which means your xorg config files are no longer valid and need some tweaking. I had a similar thing when upgrading to F26 where my graphics driver changed which in turn changed my display name from eDP1 to eDP-1 breaking my xrandr commands in .xsession.
    I have rebuilt my xorg.conf from scratch, to no avail. Multiple X Sessions works, but the flickering renders both screens completely unusable. Perhaps the nVidia driver is defaulting to something that was not turned on before, such as sync or vblanking. I am at a loss so far. Thanks for your testing of this btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after much testing I have discovered the problem to actually be Mate itself. I have tested with Cinnamon, KDE and LXCE and all works fine using those desktop environments. I hope someone from the Mate team is reading this, because I would very much like to see this fixed ASAP.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried backing up mate's config path (~/.mateconf) and deleting it? I assume mate recreates config files if they don't exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    Have you tried backing up mate's config path (~/.mateconf) and deleting it? I assume mate recreates config files if they don't exist.
    Thanks for the idea. I do have a backup of before I updated. However, there is no such directory called .mateconf in my homedir. I do have these in ~/.config however: caja, mate and mate-session directories. Is that what you mean perhaps?

A dumb question comes to mind. If running separate X Sessions, should I not have two instances of Xorg running, or at least two sessions of mate-desktop? I think what *might* be happening is Mate is not actually getting launched on Display 1, only Display 0. What is an easy way to verify this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the errors I am getting while attempting to run anything on my "X Session 1" with Mate. I am assuming each flash on both monitors are representative of each repeating error. This continues until I kill the program running on Screen 1:

Code:
    Sep 19 18:37:42 garage abrt-hook-ccpp[603]: Process 598 (marco) of user 1000 killed by SIGSEGV - ignoring (repeated crash)
    Sep 19 18:37:42 garage audit[604]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=30 pid=604 comm="marco" exe="/usr/bin/marco" sig=11 res=1
    Sep 19 18:37:42 garage kernel: marco[604]: segfault at f0 ip 00007f651cfa0622 sp 00007ffcfce2c868 error 4 in libgdk-3.so.0.2200.17[7f651cf5b000+eb000]
    Sep 19 18:37:42 garage abrt-hook-ccpp[608]: Process 604 (marco) of user 1000 killed by SIGSEGV - ignoring (repeated crash)
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage audit[609]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=30 pid=609 comm="marco" exe="/usr/bin/marco" sig=11 res=1
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage kernel: marco[609]: segfault at f0 ip 00007fcb5bc20622 sp 00007ffdd35c5ba8 error 4 in libgdk-3.so.0.2200.17[7fcb5bbdb000+eb000]
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage abrt-hook-ccpp[613]: Process 609 (marco) of user 1000 killed by SIGSEGV - ignoring (repeated crash)
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage audit[614]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=30 pid=614 comm="marco" exe="/usr/bin/marco" sig=11 res=1
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage kernel: marco[614]: segfault at f0 ip 00007f2c2b980622 sp 00007fff1223f648 error 4 in libgdk-3.so.0.2200.17[7f2c2b93b000+eb000]
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage abrt-hook-ccpp[618]: Process 614 (marco) of user 1000 killed by SIGSEGV - ignoring (repeated crash)
    Sep 19 18:37:43 garage audit[619]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=30 pid=619 comm="marco" exe="/usr/bin/marco" sig=11 res=1

Marco, the Mate Desktop Manager does indeed seem to be at fault here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried switching to compiz? Also, you could report the issue on the mate web site.

dd_wizard
    Last edited by dd_wizard; 20th September 2017 at 04:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dd_wizard
    Have you tried switching to compiz? Also, you could report the issue on the mate web site.

dd_wizard
    Thanks dd_wizard. I am pretty sure the Mate Fedora spin has Compiz enabled by default anyway, so I am not sure what you mean by "switching to compiz". Yeah, I have tried the mate website and their forums only point back to this one. I will look again however, perhaps I missed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only if you installed mate-compiz and turned it on. If you did, start Compiz Icon in the Accessories menu. If not, use sudo dnf install mate-compiz. Once it's installed and running, click on the Compiz icon in the system tray and click the Window Manager button. You should see Compiz selected instead of Marco. Switch to Compiz if you don't.

dd_wizard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dd_wizard
    Only if you installed mate-compiz and turned it on. If you did, start Compiz Icon in the Accessories menu. If not, use sudo dnf install mate-compiz. Once it's installed and running, click on the Compiz icon in the system tray and click the Window Manager button. You should see Compiz selected instead of Marco. Switch to Compiz if you don't.

dd_wizard
    You are correct. I do not have compiz installed. I will try out your suggestion this weekend and let you know. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you had any luck getting this to work with MATE?