Linux is growing - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Linux is growing

With the cloud we have given up control of our data as well, and in the process produced a highly centralised internet. Does anyone (other than MS, Amazon, and Google) think this is a good idea?
    Redhat is quite cloud-focused these days.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    Redhat is quite cloud-focused these days.
    I'd rather them than the companies I mentioned before.

Of course it would be a lot better if we could decentralise the internet a bit - move more stuff to the edges.

I have this dream where someone markets a box that has the usual WiFi router and also something like the FreedomBox built in so everyone can keep their personal stuff on their own equipment rather than having Google and Microsoft see everything you do.
    Last edited by ocratato; 8th September 2017 at 09:34 AM.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    I suspect that MS have known for a long time that its bad practice to be too dependent on a single product.
    beside Windowz the have office, a large number of sophisticated development tools, and many other well selling products. There only problem is a wrong OS2 derived kernel.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dodona
    beside Windowz the have office, a large number of sophisticated development tools, and many other well selling products. There only problem is a wrong OS2 derived kernel.
    My immediate thought was: If sophisticated development tools could keep a company afloat we would still have Borland.

The problem with a lot of those "well selling products" is that they are contingent on Windows on the desktop. Take that away and they might not do so well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible that the ubiquitous Desktop computer is dead. I see laptops (I have one), that I used in corporations to plug into a desktop adapter. That adapter supported two monitors and a physical keyboard and mouse and a connection to a local host.

The trend is for a consumer tablet to replace the laptop and the laptop to replace the desktop. My favorite ERP package went from using a proprietary graphical interface to standard html 5. Now,. with any browser on any device, one can access and work with that product.

Today I am watching TV with an MBOX and it allows me to use the built-in browser. I have access to 1000 channels, and to the WWW. My son paid under $100 for the adapter.

The tablet sales at the big box stores have replaced even laptops and desktops.

So how does that relate to Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, and the like? Is Linux as we know it going to disappear? Using Android with the MBOX was no different than using my desktop.

Can Linux use grow beyond where it is, where growth is measured as the number of supported open-source applications?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, the desktop and laptop computers will no longer be ubiquitous - that does not mean that they will go away entirely, but just that they won't be used by most consumers or office workers.

I can see these machines migrating to the higher end of the performance spectrum where a lot of CPU is required - such as video editing, software development, CAD. The result will be that these will be expensive machines made in much smaller numbers (which also makes them more expensive).

I don't see this adversely affecting desktop Linux. I suspect many Linux desktop users are the very people that are already using these higher end machines for CPU intensive stuff.

I can imagine the total number of desktop and laptop machines tending toward somewhere between 5% and 10% of the current numbers. Linux may well have a majority market share. It will be a gradual transition as machines are retired and not replaced (except by phones).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, laptops may or may not replace desktop PC's partly. However the desktop software and all other software are the same.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All in one desktops are becoming more popular. I'd still go for a traditional tower over an all in one or a notebook as they are easier to maintain and upgrade over their lifetime.

a bit like Trigger's broom

Only Fools and Horses - Heroes and Villains (1996)

Trigger, Del, Rodders, Sid and Boycie chating in Sid's cafe. Trigger has just been presented with an award for saving the council money.

Trigger: And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.
    Sid: How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?
    Trigger: There's the picture. What more proof do you need?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trigger's Broom: I always heard the story as "Grandfather's axe".

If the total sales come down to 10% of current levels it may be that a lot of alternative form factors become less than viable. Perhaps we will end up with just machines aimed at gamers.

This shift in usage patterns might prompt some of the hardware vendors to try something new - such as the personal server (Freedom Box) idea I mentioned above.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

there is a trend towards lower power consumption all in one desktop systems and SFF towers rather than full size under desk towers. Notebooks are yet to replace desktop PCs in regards sales volumes just yet though. that's certainly what my own sales have been reflecting. 'pro' tablets like the surface book are more likely to have an impact on notebook sales. one thing putting people off buying them has been the restriction of programs from the app store only but since MS are currently allowing pro users to upgrade free to windows pro from windows S, this has become less of an obstacle.

I'd like to see a decent Linux compatible device in this form. At present, you can get a surface book to run linux but the device support isn't good enough so it isn't without it's problems.

GallComp is offline Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    What's suspicious here is that Apple is only a few hundredths ahead of linux. Really? But then again, it's been quoted for years that linux percentages have ranged from 1.5 to 3% of users. Still going to take a few hundred years to reach world domination, I'm afraid.
    Not quite. All versions of OS X combined are roughly 6%, the current version of osX is the one ahead of Linux.

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apparently HP can see the desktop market will move to high end workstations (or docked smart-phones)
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...6-core-3tb-z8/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    Apparently HP can see the desktop market will move to high end workstations (or docked smart-phones)
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...6-core-3tb-z8/
    the HP is much more powerful than any of the sun, sgi was. Thus workstation isn't the right designation. Anyhow the linux driven PC is the platform for any serious computing. Therefor it has a future, whereas tab devices going under in writing silly sms, and playing childish games.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dodona
    the HP is much more powerful than any of the sun, sgi was. Thus workstation isn't the right designation. Anyhow the linux driven PC is the platform for any serious computing. Therefor it has a future, whereas tab devices going under in writing silly sms, and playing childish games.
    It might have more performance that what SGI etc offered, but if they were still making workstations I suspect they would be similar to that Z series HP machine. I think "workstation" is precisely the correct designation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BestBuy and Walmart are listing Ryzen 1600 and 1700 systems. The cost is high, due to demand for GPUs and DDR4 ram, the cost is high. The new offerings are geared towards gamers.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast