VLC broken?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VLC broken? (Solved)

I have read several threads about this problem. I can run vlc and get audio but no video. I get the following errors when I load a DVD into VLC:

[00007fb530003c38] core video output error: video output creation failed
    [00007fb53c1be658] core decoder error: failed to create video output
    Cannot find EGLConfig, returning null config
    [00007fb53c1be658] avcodec decoder error: avcodec_send_packet critical error
    [00007fb53c1be658] core decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
    [0000561a56fe8668] pulse audio output error: digital pass-through stream connection failure: Not supported
    [0000561a56fe8668] core audio output error: module not functional
    [00007fb53c1d1438] core decoder error: failed to create audio output
    [00007fb51402caa8] equalizer audio filter error: No preset selected
    [0000561a56fe8668] core audio output error: cannot add user audio filter "equalizer" (skipped)

So I have tried all the suggestions (roll back, install newer wayland and re-install vlc) and none of them work. So has anyone found a solution to this error.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ov10fac; 18th March 2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Solved the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VLC broken?

Think I found the problem. I installed Handbrake to rip some DVDs and that broke VLC. I "downgraded" VLC and it now runs as before, but the downgrade removed handbrake. So, there must be some kind of relationship between HandBrake and VLC.

So I switched to DVD::RIP and that seems to be working fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I always use mplayer, not VLC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello.

im using F25 x64 and having the same issue with VLC, plus i'm unable to start Teamviewer.
    when i try to start Teamviewer, i keep getting red error mark on the app icon on the bottom left corner of the screen.

tried removing vlc & teamviewer and re-install.
    tired updating the system.
    none of that worked

besides these 2 apps, everything is smooth.

does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Interesting. I always use mplayer, not VLC.
    Many years ago I used xine. When I loaded dvd::rip it needed xine, so I installed it. No that's what I use until someone figures out that VLC needs to be fixed, or F25 needs fixing. I suspect wayland, but just a guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What interesting about this issue is that im using F25 for a few months already and everything was smooth.
    Until this issue, i havent updated the system for a month, so dont think it's Kernel related.
    tried downgrading VLC - still no Good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ov10fac
    Many years ago I used xine. When I loaded dvd::rip it needed xine, so I installed it. No that's what I use until someone figures out that VLC needs to be fixed, or F25 needs fixing. I suspect wayland, but just a guess.
    If it's HandBrake related, it's likely just a shared libs problem, where VLC needs different versions than HandBrake.

VLC doesn't need fixing itself in such a case, Linux does. Depending on your priority, you may keep HandBrake package and try VLC appimage e.g.
    But it may as well be a packaging problem. If both are installed alongside and RPM doesn't complain, that's what may need fixing.

I'm on CentOS 7 and I have both of them working just fine (albeit older versions), so I can't say what the problem really is. Well, and I use mplayer most of the time anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy
    If it's HandBrake related, it's likely just a shared libs problem, where VLC needs different versions than HandBrake.

VLC doesn't need fixing itself in such a case, Linux does. Depending on your priority, you may keep HandBrake package and try VLC appimage e.g.
    But it may as well be a packaging problem. If both are installed alongside and RPM doesn't complain, that's what may need fixing.

I'm on CentOS 7 and I have both of them working just fine (albeit older versions), so I can't say what the problem really is. Well, and I use mplayer most of the time anyway.
    Whats really interesting is that when I remove VLC it also removes HandBrake. I can then re-install VLC and downgrade it and it works fine until I install Handbrake again. As Sgt Klink used to say "Verrrrry Interestering"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HandBrake and VLC are not related. They are both end-of-branch stuff that should never interfere.
    If you install VLC and it works and then you install HB and there is a problem with function of VLC, that itself is a problem that shouldn't happen. Theoretically.

But if you afterwards remove VLC and that also removes HB, than it deserves filing a bug report, as that is definitely packaging error, unless:

1) Fedora versions of those apps are built to depend on each other, but I seriously doubt that.
    2) you're using two different and possibly conflicting repos for those two apps and/or their dependencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your reply.

im not sure if HB is related or not
    I've tried the following:

sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
    sudo dnf remove vlc
    sudo dnf install vlc

that did Not work either!
    I'm still having the same issue with Teamviewer.
    And the WIFI keep disconnecting after a few mins.

something has really gone wrong on my OS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sopranos
    thanks for your reply.

im not sure if HB is related or not
    I've tried the following:

sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
    sudo dnf remove vlc
    sudo dnf install vlc

that did Not work either!
    I'm still having the same issue with Teamviewer.
    And the WIFI keep disconnecting after a few mins.

something has really gone wrong on my OS

I reckon to much testing going on with new environments, conflicting software, odd drivers, .....

If you want stability I recommend lxdm display manager and xfce as a Desktop.
    I've been using the same combination on dozens upon dozens of PCs, laptops, gadgets, you name it, and it's super stable.
    MHO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem about a year ago, Handbrake broke VLC. After some research I found that they both use some of the same dependencies, but different versions. Installing HB replaced an *.so file that wouldn't work with VLC because it was a different version. I removed HB because it was a trainwreck from the word go, then manually replaced that .so file with the original version (from my other computer) and VLC worked again.
    I know things. It's what I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDamFool
    I had the same problem about a year ago, Handbrake broke VLC. After some research I found that they both use some of the same dependencies, but different versions. Installing HB replaced an *.so file that wouldn't work with VLC because it was a different version. I removed HB because it was a trainwreck from the word go, then manually replaced that .so file with the original version (from my other computer) and VLC worked again.
    Ok, that makes sense. I have used Handbrake because its the only ripper I have found that rips without putting subcaptions on the video. I have tried dvd::rip, and a few others and always get either french or spanish subcaptions, except where I need them like Dances with Wolves. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ov10fac
    Ok, that makes sense. I have used Handbrake because its the only ripper I have found that rips without putting subcaptions on the video. I have tried dvd::rip, and a few others and always get either french or spanish subcaptions, except where I need them like Dances with Wolves. Go figure.
    I used the approach in the following URL by Sparky68 25 Feb 2017 12:04
    https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic...137734#p453883
    It solved my problem with VLC on several machines. Hope it helps you.
    Robert :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, so what was your previous video output setting?
    To me, by far the best results in VLC are Opengl (XCB) output with NO hardware acceleration in the input/codecs section, otherwise it may freak out.
    XVideo is old and may also introduce tearing.

Nvidia blob has proper XVideo sync per-monitor, but other drivers don't. They usually require tinkering with xorg config, Intel e.g. Unless Intel's drivers defaults are now more friendly in this regard, I don't know. And I have zero clue for AMD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast