Got something good to say? ... - Page 6
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Got something good to say? ...

Decided to recommission one of my old laptops (the infamous toasty Sony Vaio with Radeon graphics), which is something Linux is certainly very suited to (the recommissioning of old computers I mean).

I hadn't used that computer in a while and found it was running 'ol Fedora 20. Figured trying to upgrade from there would be a nightmare so just installed a fresh Fedora 23 Workstation.

Big thumbs up here Installed no dramas at all, recognised the Windows partition and did all correctly in regards to GRUB and such. No crashes or being bugged by SELinux thus far; just been really solid, really.

Even GNOME on Wayland works perfectly, which surprised me. I haven't really kept up with the happenings in regards to GNOME being ported to Wayland, so perhaps I hadn't expected it to be so far advanced. A bit faster and no screen-tearing meant it was a winner in my eyes.

I did however install the Budgie desktop, simply because, on that machine whether it's X11 or Wayland, GNOME Shell with all it's animations can really feel a bit sluggish or at least appear so, with choppy transitions. Budgie makes use of all the GNOME stuff without all the extra animations, so it seems to work well. A shame that lacks Wayland of course.

Overall, liking the look of Fedora 23 so far!
    OS': Fedora 25 - Arch Linux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen the future of home desktop operating systems. It's name is Fedora.
    There is no place like /home

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the camaraderie and the sharing - transfer of knowledge that a wonderful group of members/respondents provide to we less knowledgeable. I am glad to be able to be a recipient. Participants in the forum and admins, you do justice to we old and young farts.

If you were Spanish, yesterday was May 5th, a holiday celebrated in Mexico since 1862.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 7th May 2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Leigh Scott Guest

Where is the "Got something bad to say" thread?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there's the rants section.

Leigh Scott Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    Well, there's the rants section.
    I need a "Want to say something bad to the developers and the fedora project?" section
    I guess I will just use bugzilla instead

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1283506#c9

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

a minority of developers have a 'lalalala i'm not listening because it doesn't happen to me' stance unfortunately. this is idiotic as not everyone has exactly the same hardware. that is one of the more frustrating parts of trying to report anything on bugthedeveloperzilla...

Leigh Scott Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    a minority of developers have a 'lalalala i'm not listening because it doesn't happen to me' stance unfortunately. this is idiotic as not everyone has exactly the same hardware. that is one of the more frustrating parts of trying to report anything on bugthedeveloperzilla...
    IMO the sort of changes their doing to gtk3 should have been done as gtk4 because they are breaking most of the apps that relies on it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It might not be a case of not listening, but more a lack of resources (time and equipment) to be able to do anything about it.
    If a developer cannot reproduce the problem it starts to become rather difficult to diagnose the cause or demonstrate that a fix actually cures the problem.

When you take into account different hardware configurations, different distributions, and different sets of installed libraries and programs it is probably beyond the capabilities of any but the very largest organisations to test more than a few permutations.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on how a small developer can handle this, since I can see it is going to be an issue with my VICI project.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If a developer cannot reproduce the problem it starts to become rather difficult to diagnose the cause or demonstrate that a fix actually cures the problem.
    not if the end user supplies them with the necessary information to diagnose the issue properly and works with them to resolve it by testing possible fixes. both the bug reporter and package maintainer need to be as cooperative and helpful to each other as possible. if the lack of time is a problem then perhaps the developers concerned shouldn't be involved in submitting component packages to an operating system.

Leigh Scott Guest

not if the end user supplies them with the necessary information to diagnose the issue properly and works with them to resolve it by testing possible fixes. both the bug reporter and package maintainer need to be as cooperative and helpful to each other as possible. if the lack of time is a problem then perhaps the developers concerned shouldn't be involved in submitting component packages to an operating system.
    I have about 1500 cinnamon related bugreports (abrt is a curse imo) that have no steps to reproduce the issue so I ignore them as it would take weeks to ask them more details.
    If a bugreport gets 10+ users I will ask for additional info.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed abrt reporting is a bit of a pain.

what I tend try and do is copy the abrt output files and attach them manually instead to a bug report where I can insert the steps to reproduce an issue once and if I know what they are.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed abrt reporting is a bit of a pain.

what I tend try and do is copy the abrt output files and attach them manually instead to a bug report where I can insert the steps to reproduce an issue once and if I know what they are.
    That sounds like a good technique.
    However there is still the issue of the developer needing to have an equivalent environment in order to reproduce the problem and test the fix.
    The interesting bugs tend to be those that are caused by interactions between the libraries that the application is dependent on, and perhaps the underlying hardware. The potential number of permutations is enormous.

The idea of having a close working relationship with the user that has the problem seems like a good one, but it will likely be a bit dependent on the type of software we are talking about. If we take my VICI project as an example, where its designed to be used by non-technical users, I can see that trying to get a clear picture of the problem and organising a test might be challenging.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

hiGuys Guest

Something good: I love the default background in the current F24 workstation build. Starry and beautiful. Usually neutral at best in regards to Fedora's default wallpapers but this star look is a real winner!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Something very nice: F24 font rendering is massively improved especially when using the new version of Cantarell. Okay so I've still applied the Russian Fedora Font fixes but it looks really slick and crisp on my notebook monitor. Even in Firefox everything renders nicely. So much so I won't bother using my usual substitute fonts and config file.

Part of the FF improvements are also down to the MATE GTK theme improvements put in by Wolfgang, so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back my friend

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast