<---- template headericclude ----->
The new website is really bad
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new website is really bad

I have fedoraproject.org bookmarked, which redirects to getfedora.org and I'm disappointed.
    What is Fedora? Is it a consumer product that you throw away after a few weeks?
    Where is the community spirit there?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The new website is really bad

Enclair, You are absolutely right. Compare the website to the SUSE13.2 Open Source website. Its like night and day.

Who is responsible for websites? Is it the design group, or the documentation group, or neither? By the same token, I visit arch website as one of my Linux references.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too agree.

The Fedora website is a really, really bad design.

A 6 year old kid could put a website up that looks more professional.

stevea Guest

I can't disagree, it's poor (otoh I don't find openSuse's website a model either).

I've always liked the Arch Linux website&wiki - clean & informative and usually easy to navigate.

Debian used to be functional but awkward, far better in recent years.

I've spend a good deal of time in the past 2 weekends looking for a laptop, and ye gads - it's absolutely stunning how badly organized the OEMs are. They start with meaningless categories that you are supposed to select from, or sometimes just product line names (are you looking for a Supera or an Infera ?). Pathetically bad organization.
    Last edited by stevea; 22nd April 2015 at 05:48 AM.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, since we're not directly connected to the Project, some brave souls might want to mention all this to them. I'm sure you'd receive the usual concerned, courteous replies that have helped so many others....move to Arch....
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be a bit contrarian, the 'new' site looks a response to complaints from prospective new users that they could not find where to download Fedora ISO's. So, tada, "GetFedora", with a batch of internal links at the bottom of the page.

What's needed, really, is URL that points to a dead-simple page devoted only to downloading ISO images. Just one page. Then, another site with the hardcore info for people who already know what they're doing, like the Arch site (which clearly is not a site intended to appeal to potential new users). Put links to both on both pages.

In other words, retain GetFedora, make it as simple as possible, do away with the redirect, and hope someone volunteers to take on the reorg and redo of the docs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the simple, modern design and since the information I expect from it (generic Fedora information, a way to obtain Fedora and links to other Fedora stuff) is presented by it in a clear way I think it is just fine.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm with Dutchy on this one. All the necessary links are at the bottom of the page if you want more download options or greater detail. The reasons behind the change are there on the page.

Fedora is now more focused
    Less setup, more innovation. Choose a flavor of Fedora streamlined for your needs, and get to work right away.
    They have simply done the same to the website and I feel it looks more professional than before.

There is no way they can please all levels of users or personal preferences though. I think they have hit a reasonable balance in the current approach

And yes, trying to figure out which laptop is suitable these days is a nightmare as you may recall from the thread I opened on here asking for working WLAN module feedback. The OEM websites give very basic information. I ended up with my current machine because the only actual relevant information I could find came from Fujitsu and additionally the pre-sales information when requested was second to none.

For Photoshop, the more RAM the merrier. I'd personally go for minimum 3rd generation Intel Core processors with 16GB or more RAM installed. I use Photoshop CS2 on this notebook and it doesn't seem to suffer any slowdowns. You will struggle to find a notebook with that amount of RAM off the shelf or in Dell factory outlet though. I upgraded mine with a compatible RAM kit.
    Last edited by antikythera; 22nd April 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enclair
    I have fedoraproject.org bookmarked, which redirects to getfedora.org and I'm disappointed.
    I don't care for the new website either.

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    To be a bit contrarian, the 'new' site looks a response to complaints from prospective new users that they could not find where to download Fedora ISO's. So, tada, "GetFedora", with a batch of internal links at the bottom of the page.
    Putting navigation at the bottom was a bad idea, it should be at the TOP, not bottom. And I wish they had kept the full, proper, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink, DVD releases.

Then again, as you said, it's for new users, though I came to Fedora only 5 years ago. (Was running RH based distros before that, but not Fedora itself)

Then, another site with the hardcore info for people who already know what they're doing, like the Arch site (which clearly is not a site intended to appeal to potential new users).
    I like the Arch site, but I personally think they should have the navigation on the left, not right.

But then again, the first linux community website I joined looked like this:

http://ps2linux.no-ip.info/playstation2-linux.com/
    Running Fedora 39 64-bit on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, 3.6GHz i7-4790 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads), 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD, MSI GTX1650 OC 4GB GDDR6 video card. Asus MG248qr 24" 1080p monitor, using 1080P (1920x1080) over HDMI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think so many people would agree with me, I was worried you would think I was trolling. Thanks!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Compare the website to the SUSE13.2 Open Source website. Its like night and day.
    Yep, the SUSE website is way worse.

I prefer the new Fedora Project website to the old design.I think the new design makes it easier to figure out where stuff is and is less confusing.
    OS: Fedora 39 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 (4)@3.30GHz | RAM: 32GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disks: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB SATA, Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST1000NM0033 1TB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the new site. It gets to the point right away. In my opinion, the point is to download an ISO and get started using Fedora.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window dressing is very important. If the website is not eye appealing, why should a newcomer to Linux want to try Fedora? I do not say "drab Website, drab Fedora", but perhaps some people are doing that already.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

stevea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Of course, since we're not directly connected to the Project, some brave souls might want to mention all this to them. I'm sure you'd receive the usual concerned, courteous replies that have helped so many others....move to Arch....
    Made me laugh, Bob - thanks!

OTOH the F' crew can't be as 'Vogon' as the Gnomes - look on the bright side.