Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 14th July 2017, 07:56 PM
John Alien Offline

linuxfirefox
Data loss on btrfs!!

So it finally happened. I've seen 0 byte files turn up here and there, the odd image which can't be opened where I was almost sure it used to be fine.

So what happened? chmod -R on a directory and the directory went from 28gb to 1.5gb! Now I have a lot of 0 byte files in there which were not 0 byte files just seconds before, so I am sure it was chmod which is responsible, guessing in part with it being a btrfs file system.

Is chmod not to be used on a btrfs filesystem? I haven't read much documentation and have made up for my ignorance by keeping 2+ backups of everything, so I'm doing fine at the moment. I read something about btrfs working great, until it doesn't. Meaning it is so functional and robust (and fault tolerant!) is seems like there isn't anything wrong with it. Except people do run into problems with it. I'm thinking of turning a couple of my backup drives into ext4 or jfs. That way it won't all be btrfs.

Thoughts?
Old 14th July 2017, 09:46 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Data loss on btrfs!!

I've been using btrfs for years, with zero data loss. Also, I can't think of any reason why chmod would cause data loss, even with the -R option. Unless your command was mistyped? Do you have the command in history so you can look at it by editing ~/.bash_history? I do remember a find command typed in by a co-worker that truncated most of the root file system to 0B files. He used the exec option to find that copied the files to themselves when they were located by find. Backups rock!

dd_wizard
Old 14th July 2017, 09:49 PM
dcrdev Offline

linuxfedorachrome

I'm pretty sure the filesystem layer is stable, I thought it was only the RAID checksumming and parity that was unstable with certain configurations; I'm no expert though.

I can't see how chmod would result in a data loss, are you sure you didn't somehow make the files immutable? Could you try "chattr -R -i /some/directory" and see i that works?

Otherwise I would try a btrfs scrub and then a reboot. I have been using btrfs in RAID1 for about 1 1/2 years and have done countless chmod operations, never had that issue.
Old 17th July 2017, 02:43 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

What dd_wizard said. Every problem I have had with btrfs over at least 5 years of constant use has been self-inflicted, i.e., mistakes on my part.

Tim
Old 17th July 2017, 04:42 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I can't use my $HOME with btrfs as my favourite Gnome extension locks up Gnome and itself completely, needing a root level intervention to remove that extension Taskbar by Zpdyr. I am slowly tying to follow his javascript and to discover where he stores his data.

I read where btrfs is preferred for SSD's and thats why I am making use of btrfs.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840