Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th January 2017, 03:18 PM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox
F25 stuck in the console

Hi
Have F25 on an Asus laptop. I upgraded from F24 couple of weeks ago, never had any problem. But suddenly I booted today to find that there is no way (for me at least) to get into Gnome.
The two attachments are what I get from the console at startup.
If I try startx, that message is the only thing I reiceive.
Is there another method that re-installing everything from scratch?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-2017-01-07-15-59-30_0967.jpg (91.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-2017-01-07-16-00-49_0968.jpg (113.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 8th January 2017, 12:19 AM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F25 stuck in the console

Is there any more information in the X log files - the one in the home directory (shown in the photo) and/or the one in /var/log? Are there any other error messages in the journal or dmesg?
Old 8th January 2017, 02:17 PM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Here there should be some errors I found in the journal (jpegs) and the Xorg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg journalctl 1.jpg (105.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg journalctl 2.jpg (117.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg journalctl 3.jpg (115.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg journalctl 4.jpg (124.8 KB, 26 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xorg.pdf (32.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 8th January 2017, 04:16 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The Xorg error message "dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)" seems most informative to me. I don't know what to do about it, other than, as you mentioned, reinstalling. You could try "# dnf reinstall dbus" first, before reinstalling everything. Also, it might be interesting to try running "dbus-run-session -- bash" first and then run startx, just to maybe get more info.
Old 8th January 2017, 05:04 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You could also do an "# rpm --verify dbus" - if that comes back clean, reinstalling dbus probably won't help. Were there any upgrades right before it broke (# dnf history)?
Old 8th January 2017, 05:20 PM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Tried to reinstall dbus, but nothing changed.
I run a dnf history, to check that there were no upgrades, I just installed and removed qt5*-devel and gcc-c++

So I guess I am going for the total reistall...
Old 9th January 2017, 12:04 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You might like to try so see if it's gnome that is interfering with the X start up. This is a problem I've had on a few computers over the years.You could test it out by trying to start up a window manager from the console. You need to boot to a console and login there. A simple way to do this is to install xterm and also a window manager like openbox or twm before you start. Then at the console run:
Code:
xinit
If it works, it should bring up an xterm in X. Then you can start a window manager with:
Code:
openbox &
and run in the gui.

Last edited by nsnbm; 9th January 2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:31 AM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Tried your suggestion. Something happened, but don't really know what
Installed xterm and openbox, launched xinit but then, when I launched Openbox, I was returned just with this message:
[1] 1924

Tried again, and:
Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0

Do you know what does it mean?
Old 9th January 2017, 10:53 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Good. Looks like you got your X running and openbox as well. That "[1]1924" refers to the process number that openbox is running on the system. That can be checked by looking at /proc/1924/cmdline which will output the word "openbox" indicating that it's the command associated with that process number. So, the gui seems to be up. The problem is now how to use openbox, but that's a different matter to the initial problem where the pics in post #1 showed a failure to get to a gui at all. I don't usually run openbox, but I suggested it here as a testing item. When openbox runs, you can maximise and minimise the screen using the mouse on the top right hand corner. If you minimise and lose sight of your xterm, then you can hit the middle mouse button and it should bring up a menu from which you can restore the terminal, and you can run any gui application in the xterm e.g. firefox, gedit etc. You can open a number of xterms and move them around the screen with the mouse by grabbing them in the title bar with the left mouse button. It's basic use of the gui but as I mentioned, if the gui runs with openbox, (which runs on top of X), then X is up and working, and that may implicate gnome as having a part to play in the original problem. Modern gnome makes large demands on the video hardware, but I could only speculate as to why it stopped working after working properly for some time on your computer. Maybe an update is implicated.

That second message "Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0" would be correct because you already had the openbox window manager running on the system. Evidently you tried to run it again in the xterm which it was already running. That first xterm is all you need to run any other gui application ... you just need to know the command of the application you wish to run.
Old 9th January 2017, 04:03 PM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Great!
Thanks for the detailed explanation!
So, if the problem is or could be gnome, do you think that trying to install something else like KDE would do?
Old 10th January 2017, 02:53 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes. I would actually install a lighter desktop environment like lxde. There are plenty of otheres to choose from so you can you can try them out. The lightest way to go is just having a window manager rather than a desktop environment, but it's what you'd prefer that matters.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:20 AM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Ok.
The problem here is this: I installed cinnamon, when I start the system I get the login screen, but if I login nothing happens, I get a blank screend and then the login again...
Old 11th January 2017, 10:36 PM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I can offer some thoughts but unfortunately I don't use cinnamon. There's info on installing desktop environments here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Switc...p_Environments

The first thing I would suggest is to search the forums for info on this problem which I think has appeared from time to time. There may be a solution there. Failing satisfaction there, below are some thoughts.

The display manager on your machine appears to be GDM, the gnome display manager. Normally it allows you to choose desktops to run. If it's not working as intended, you could try installing another display manager like lightdm. Then, you need to make the newly installed display manager the default by making sure that /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service is a link pointing to the lightdm display manager. If that link doesn't appear after installation of lightdm, you can make it yourself on the command line with something like:
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
and reboot. I'm not sure of the actual name of the lightdm.service file, so you'd need to check that and insert it in this command, run as root.

In the past I've also had the trouble you describe with logging in and resolved it in various ways. bear in mind this is historical. One way was to change my password in the console, or have root change my password and reboot. You might like to try that first because it's simpler than installing another display manager. Whilst that has worked on occasion, it's also failed at times, so another approach was to remove the offending display manager altogether and install another. When all that's failed I have had to re-install a non-gnome spin ... which has always worked but is a last resort.
Old 12th January 2017, 10:32 AM
Gennaro Offline

macosfirefox

Wow, thank you so much for these detailed explanations!
Old 12th January 2017, 11:51 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There is another thought: GDM uses wayland and not X by default, so you could try and get it to use X and see if that makes a difference. To do that you need to disable Wayland in the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf by uncommenting the "WaylandEnable=false" line, that is, remove the # from the start of the line. Sorry I didn't mention this before, but it may not make any difference anyway. Dunno. Worth a try.

Tags
console, f25, login, startx, stuck