Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2017, 02:17 PM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unhappy Laptop Freeze when idle

Using F25, kernel 4.8.15-300.fc25.x86_64 and followed the 01.org stack recipe and still got the damn freezing problem when ever I leave the laptop get idle.

its annoying really, what info do I need to bring in here in order to have the required help?

Thanks in advance
Old 9th January 2017, 03:06 PM
ocratato Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Laptop Freeze when idle

I had that problem - if left with nothing happening it would completely lock up and require a power reset. (it was nothing to do with screen savers, or locks etc.)
Never found a fix, but discovered that a music player provides sufficient activity to keep the machine ticking along.
Old 9th January 2017, 04:45 PM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post
I had that problem - if left with nothing happening it would completely lock up and require a power reset. (it was nothing to do with screen savers, or locks etc.)
Never found a fix, but discovered that a music player provides sufficient activity to keep the machine ticking along.
I neglected to say that I found a same solution with firefox

I have the screensaver disabled, did all the tricks I could find around....how ever I do know the root of this problem yet still I do know how to fix it!

its the goddamn kernel 4.x! I was testing other distros before I figured it out and used debian stable with on old kernel 3.x and did not have that issue but of course I was limited to an old xorg video driver which did not gave me a pleasant gui experience.

It is really annoying!
Old 10th January 2017, 12:29 AM
ocratato Offline

linuxfirefox

I was just reading this: https://blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/...-wasted-cores/

I note that it is the case that if a core goes into a power saving idle state it requires another core to wake it up. My guess is that the problem arises due to a race condition somewhere in the scheduler that allows all the cores to get into this power saving idle state.
Old 10th January 2017, 03:27 AM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post
I was just reading this: https://blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/...-wasted-cores/

I note that it is the case that if a core goes into a power saving idle state it requires another core to wake it up. My guess is that the problem arises due to a race condition somewhere in the scheduler that allows all the cores to get into this power saving idle state.
That was quite some reading, I did not find a solution yet.
Old 10th January 2017, 03:43 AM
computersavvy Offline

linuxchrome

You fail to mention the version of fedora, and the kernel, and the desktop, and the video cards you are using.

I have had absolutely no problems. With F24 I used all the released kernels up through 4.8.14 and when I updated to F25 I am using 4.8.15.
F25, gnome, kept fully updated, and it just works for me.

I did suspect a problem with one of the early 4.8 releases, but another update was released within the next couple of days so it really was not an issue.
Old 10th January 2017, 10:03 AM
flyingdutchman Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Aha... It is due to all the snow. The lappy is freezing its balls off...

You could use a mouse wiggler to keep the poor thing awake until you get a new kernel installed:

http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2014/06/mouse-wiggler.html
Old 10th January 2017, 11:40 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

@qmemo - please use normal font size in accordance with the forum rules. you can use larger, coloured or bold sparingly when appropriate but not for the entire message body. thanks

Quote:
13). Use the default font type, size, color, and justification in posts.
There are various font types, sizes, colors and other options available for the text in posts. However, the default font type, color, size, and justification should be used for all routine post text. Use other font types, colors, and sizes sparingly and only when needed for emphasis or special formatting circumstances. Using non-default font attributes routinely or capriciously will not be allowed. Staff members may edit such posts and issue a warning to stop the practice.
http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 11th January 2017, 08:16 AM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersavvy View Post
You fail to mention the version of fedora, and the kernel, and the desktop, and the video cards you are using.

I have had absolutely no problems. With F24 I used all the released kernels up through 4.8.14 and when I updated to F25 I am using 4.8.15.
F25, gnome, kept fully updated, and it just works for me.

I did suspect a problem with one of the early 4.8 releases, but another update was released within the next couple of days so it really was not an issue.
When ever I see this, I expect the freeze to occur anytime
Quote:
[ 3.639955] [drm:intel_enable_lvds [i915]] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power on
[ 3.710405] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
And here is the info you asked me about

Release: 25
Kernel: 4.8.15-300.fc25.x86_64
Desktop: XFCE
VGA:
Quote:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:0004]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 33
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
Aha... It is due to all the snow. The lappy is freezing its balls off...

You could use a mouse wiggler to keep the poor thing awake until you get a new kernel installed:

http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2014/06/mouse-wiggler.html
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
@qmemo - please use normal font size in accordance with the forum rules. you can use larger, coloured or bold sparingly when appropriate but not for the entire message body. thanks

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersavvy View Post
You fail to mention the version of fedora, and the kernel, and the desktop, and the video cards you are using.............
I can get you as much info as you need for it might help get this fixed

Last edited by qmemo; 11th January 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:45 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
When ever I see this, I expect the freeze to occur anytime

Makes me wonder if Toshiba have done something bespoke with the power management circuit that doesn't gel well with the i915 driver and modules used by Fedora currently. The manufacturers use a licensed reference design and alter it to their specific product requirements and optimised for whichever version of Windows and OEM system utilities it was supplied with.

No such issues here with i915 but that said my hardware is 3rd generation and the notebook is a Fujitsu, not Toshiba
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 11th January 2017, 12:59 PM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Makes me wonder if Toshiba have done something bespoke with the power management circuit that doesn't gel well with the i915 driver and modules used by Fedora currently. The manufacturers use a licensed reference design and alter it to their specific product requirements and optimised for whichever version of Windows and OEM system utilities it was supplied with.

No such issues here with i915 but that said my hardware is 3rd generation and the notebook is a Fujitsu, not Toshiba
3.x kernels would go by days before any quirks, heh....I am still applying that lame solution of having something ticking in the background.
Old 12th January 2017, 09:51 AM
bob1066 Offline

linuxfirefox

I had this same issue (kernel version 4.8.6). Entire system would occasionally freeze, not responding to any input at all, all I could do was power off and power on again. Sometimes it seemed to happen immediately after a mouse move or a window switch, other times it would occur when there was no input at all, even if I was away from screen. If I was playing a podcast, the music would keep playing until the buffer ran out; once or twice however the music repeated in a loop of several seconds, which of course led to my immediately hitting the off switch. This freezing was occurring within an hour of startup.

A couple of days ago I installed to update to this kernel module and have not had a recurrence of the problem since (touch wood).
Old 12th January 2017, 08:49 PM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1066 View Post
I had this same issue (kernel version 4.8.6). Entire system would occasionally freeze, not responding to any input at all, all I could do was power off and power on again. Sometimes it seemed to happen immediately after a mouse move or a window switch, other times it would occur when there was no input at all, even if I was away from screen. If I was playing a podcast, the music would keep playing until the buffer ran out; once or twice however the music repeated in a loop of several seconds, which of course led to my immediately hitting the off switch. This freezing was occurring within an hour of startup.

A couple of days ago I installed to update to this kernel module and have not had a recurrence of the problem since (touch wood).
Running kernel 4.8.16-300.fc25.x86_64, left the laptop with no ticking apps in the background..two hours later....freeze...speeding fan.....hard reset so I can reboot it.

What is "touch wood"?
Old 13th January 2017, 03:19 PM
bob1066 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
Running kernel 4.8.16-300.fc25.x86_64, left the laptop with no ticking apps in the background..two hours later....freeze...speeding fan.....hard reset so I can reboot it.

What is "touch wood"?
Sorry, it's an expression. I think there was an old superstition that touching something made of wood would ward off bad luck or bad spirits. People say "touch wood" meaning they hope the good luck does not suddenly run out.
Old 13th January 2017, 03:51 PM
qmemo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1066 View Post
Sorry, it's an expression. I think there was an old superstition that touching something made of wood would ward off bad luck or bad spirits. People say "touch wood" meaning they hope the good luck does not suddenly run out.
Cool beans, anyhow I am running Linux and already know the quirks I might stumble upon hence reading this... http://itvision.altervista.org/why.l...p.current.html

Heh...

Tags
freeze, idle, laptop