Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th January 2017, 08:44 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F25 and xorg.conf/xorg server

Hi,

After installing F25 LXDE on my laptop, I've had a problem with xorg.conf. With it, X doesn't start, without it, it does. Finally I found a remark that, from F25 on, there's no need for xorg.conf to be there (in /etc/X11) since it runs Wayland by default. However, LXDE doesn't use Wayland, so how does it use X then?
I'm using a combination of Intel (prime graphics) and nVidia (3D graphics) and the proprietary nVidia drivers since rpmfusion or any other open drivers seemingly didn't work. However, nVidia comes with a program that looks for xorg server, which it can't find, and neither can I. Apart from that: lsmod shows all respective drivers ARE loaded.
So how does X run on F25 without xorg server, or where is it located?

Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 10:05 AM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome
Re: F25 and xorg.conf/xorg server

There was once the case that you would need to configure X.org prior to use it. This is no longer the case, xserver detects and configures hardware by it own thus there is no requirement for xorg.conf . But there is still a possibility to tweak some setting by using it.

If xserver does not start for you by having xorg.conf it may be possible that some setting in it is not quite right. I suggest you remove it completely and implement it piece by piece if you require so.

See also "man xorg.conf".
Old 12th January 2017, 11:55 AM
hvniekerk Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: F25 and xorg.conf/xorg server

I don't really require so, I'm just wondering if it's the nVidia setup that needs improvement for F25. Regarding your response, it does.

Tags
f25, lxde, server, xorgconf, xorgconf or xorg, xorgserver