Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2017, 10:32 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox
PlayOnLinux best thing since W7...

It comes to something when the only way you can play a DX9 game designed for Windows 7 with hardware acceleration at a decent resolution is in Linux. Some just don't run properly in W8.1 onwards.

I was trying to get Bejeweled 3 to run in W8.1 and W10. I still W8.1 on my notebook and gaming PC in preference to W10 but tried 10 as well just to see if it was any better for this. With both OS the game just comes up with 'your video adaptor is not recognised' because they are too new for it but also the required DX9 components are no longer present and cannot be installed due to incompatibility. Tweaking the game registry settings to match the entries from W7 when it worked fine didn't help either.

I tried extracting the WineD3D libraries to the windows install and that failed to help.

So I installed through PoL in Mint Serena which drags in Wine and went through the manual setup routine as the game isn't listed in their database. It works much better. There's a little screen tear with the gallium driver but it's still an improvement over 800x600 software rendering in Windows.

I'm trying to migrate everything away from windows anyway now so will carry on trying different games and programs with WINE. The casual games like this one should be fine though. Flash is also available through WINE for the ones that need it.

Apart from that I have a couple of Steam Games in my Library that are cross platform to enjoy.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:35 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: PlayOnLinux best thing since W7...

I prefer pure Wine, as I like complete control over it's settings w/o any GUI cripplers.

But Wine has got so far that these days a barely need more than one prefix to run the stuff I need.
Sure, games are technically slower, sometimes more, sometimes less, but in case of older titles it simply doesn't matter, as Wine with today's hardware does the D3D -> OpenGL translation quite fast with those titles.

Well and if something goes wrong, one just deletes the prefix dir and by running winecfg, Windows is reinstalled.
That's why I keep all the software in general 'bin' dir on another dirve away from prefix, including Steam stuff, so I don't need to download it again.

Now, I'm not sure if the RCs of Wine 2.0 will build on CentOS7. Gonna try today just to be prepared.
Old 8th January 2017, 02:21 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, builds just fine and works as 1.8.x before with what I have here to kill my time with.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:30 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi antikythera

Chapeau24 has steam in their offering. It might be worth giving it a try. It comes as Gnome only on the live ISO, but thereafter you can post install Mate.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 9th January 2017, 01:57 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Hi antikythera

Chapeau24 has steam in their offering. It might be worth giving it a try. It comes as Gnome only on the live ISO, but thereafter you can post install Mate.
I'm well aware of that fact, however I am using Mint for my attempts at LineageOS Nougat ROM compilation so will stick with it. I don't like having an undesired desktop environment forced on me either just to install another alongside it that I want to use. So I won't be installing Chapeau any time soon.

Tags
playonlinux, thing