Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 19th April 2017, 03:09 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It finally happened...

When Gnome 3 came out, I decided to give it a try. It was truly bad at first, but the extensions got better and I actually liked it, for a while. But the devs kept making it harder and harder to build my own flavor of gnome-shell. Gnome 3.22 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had to start using patches from Linux from Scratch to build nautilus without the tracker dependency. After reading how the gnome devs completely ignored the LfS request to add their patch upstream, I finally realized how much time I was wasting making gnome-shell useful to me.

Switching to Mate was like going home after the worst vacation ever! Things just work, and it's snappier to boot. Since I run a conky panel with hidden panels, I can't tell the difference while working. I'm still trying to figure out what the gnome devs thought was wrong with Gnome 2!

dd_wizard
Old 19th April 2017, 03:19 AM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: It finally happened...

This is how i felt when two years back i switched to mate. i tried Gnome3 in between to see progress as back as one week but was not able to stand it. MATE/XFCE just work. That is how desktop should be IMO. I have multiple machines with each having different DE.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:03 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I use MATE and Cinnamon across my machines. I find GNOME a pain in the derrier to use because you end up needing more clicks and menus to achieve the most simplest of tasks thanks to their focus on making everything look pretty rather than being functional.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 20th April 2017, 07:04 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I finally switched to Xfce due to the massive performance and stability issues that plague Gnome. Now my pc just keeps running for weeks without needing to restart the DE daily twice. It is more of a hassle to get Xfce to my likings, but hey it works. The nice thing about Xfce is that I can keep using many of the Gnome parts without using the rotting codebase of the shell (where they keep adding cruft to without fixing the old crap).
Old 20th April 2017, 07:26 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Whenever a new version of Gnome is released I give it a shot but soon end up ditching it and go back to KDE Plasma. Right now though, I'm using Mint 18 with Cinnamon and really like it.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:42 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

If AMD released compatible proprietary drivers which kept pace with upstream kernel releases and therefore fedora I'd jump at the chance of running Fedora Cinnamon. As it happens I'm using LM 17.3 instead with manually installed 3.16 LTS branch kernels as long as they are supported. I prefer the tear free display the proprietary drivers provide. there's no apparent way to force vsync with gallium.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 20th April 2017, 08:24 AM
thick0 Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I dropped back to Gnome classic a while ago and it works for me
Old 20th April 2017, 10:27 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I use MATE and Cinnamon across my machines. I find GNOME a pain in the derrier to use because you end up needing more clicks and menus to achieve the most simplest of tasks thanks to their focus on making everything look pretty rather than being functional.
Well, if you really use clicks to achieve something, that itself is rather cumbersome. In this regard, it's great as I don't need clicking anywhere for anything.

And looking pretty? There is not much to look at in Gnome 3, so I don't know.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:25 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

I'm an old fuddie-duddie, and I am continuing with Gnome 3. But my Gnome setup is to install Taskbar and Gno Menu. Those two extensions give me the way to bypass the GUI interface with the "All" option requiring one to scroll and scroll and scroll.

I also have other extensions for personal enjoyment. (Weather, background images that I programmed to change every few hours, and a few more extensions of personal interest).

My system is responsive, and has the best of a KDE style interface and xfce and Gnome interfaces.

My observation is that we come to Linux with one interface that we master, and with which we are comfortable. Then, that comfort draws us back to it after a few days with using an alternative. We are people of habit.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 21st April 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:11 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

Cinnamon here, too, on Mint 18. Before that, I had Gnome 2 on Scientific Linux 6.x (a RHEL clone) for a few years.

I like Cinnamon a lot, but I think my next build might be MATE to see if some of my old and dearly loved Gnome 2 customisations will work (that unfortunately don't quite work with Cinnamon).

I remember fondly (not!) the teething problems with Gnome Shell from Fedora 15. Those problems never fully went away. That was actually what drove me to leave Fedora. Before that I was an enthusiastic Fedora/RH user from RH9 and every Fedora release up to and including F14.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:49 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My 0.02$:

IMHO, Gnome has gone one extreme: i.e. piping the full interface through one executable "gnome shell", which gives it a serious bottleneck.
And KDE has gone the other extreme: i.e. sprinkled little applets and proggies which die and restart and stop and un-stop all the time, and you never know what to expect.

So, I just stick with LXDM + Xfce + Xorg, and I am happy as a kite in may !
Old 24th April 2017, 02:43 PM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Window Maker user here checking in.