0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 25 Server Install issue

I'm trying to install the Fedora 25 Server on an old HP PC
    I'm booting from an USB-Stick and get to the Fedora Install Screen
    I select "Install Fedora 25"

I get:

[ OK ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
    [ OK ] Reached target Paths.
    [ OK ] Reached target Encrypted Volumes.
    [ OK ] Reached target System Initialization.
    [ OK ] Listening on Open-iSCSI iscsiuio Socket.
    [ OK ] Reached target Sockets.
    [ OK ] Started Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.
    [ OK ] Reached target Basic System.

After that it gives me a warning about starting timeout scripts and the final two warnings
    Could not boot.
    /dev/root does not exist

OR i get following Error:

rv770_restrict_performance_levels_before_switch failed

Anybody knows either what to do with the rv770 error or what the problem with the non-existing file is?
    I have to say that I already googled both of the errors but I'm not very experienced with things like that so i barely understood a thing that I read.

I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to make a homeserver for fun and to gain experience with Linux and Homeservers so please help an unexperienced guy.
    Thanks in advance for anybody who tries to help me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 25 Server Install issue

I wonder if you checked the media with the mediacheck facility which usually offers itself early in the booting up process? It may let you know whether it thinks the media is good for installing or not.

In any case, the symptoms you are getting, where the installation fails at different points, may be because the iso copied to the usb has been done by an unreliable method, which means, using a program that does not write reliably. That has been my experience in the past. The most reliable method I know is to use the dd program. I've only used it in linux though I believe M$ has a clone for this, but I have no experience with that one. There are a number of posts on the forum about this issue of writing to usbs and they do favour dd as a reliable method to write the iso to the usb. In a terminal the basic syntax for dd in linux is:
    Code:
    dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sd(x)
    where file.iso is the name of the file in the filesystem (and you can name it yourself) and /dev/sd(x) is the device name which in this case is the usb. On a linux system you can discover the name of the usb by running, in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg -w
    and plugging in the usb and it's device name will come up, e.g. "sdb" which means /dev/sdb.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 11th June 2017 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I selected the "Test this media & install Fedora 25" option which resulted in giving me the /dev/root not existing error.

For the following i used my ubuntu laptop.

For the usb tried the dd command:
    Code:
     dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso of=/dev/sdb
    (the device name is in fact sdb)

And got the error:
    Code:
     Could not open 'Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso': File or directory not found
    (Please note that this is not the exact code because I translated it from German)

I tried the dd command with both having the file on my laptop and having it on the usb itself. Both ways resulted in the same error above.

Did I make a mistake with the dd command?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your command should work as long as you are in the same directory as the .iso file.
    I don't know if Ubuntu includes support for the 'locate' command. In Fedora you can get the full path name for the file by typing ' locate Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso ' on a terminal command line.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB HD/ Intel HD 2000/ fc39.x86_64
    Tower:GigaByte x570 / Ryzen 5900x 3.7Ghz x12/ 64GB/ 17.5TB HD/ Radeon RX 580/ fc39.x86_64
    Server:GigaByte B450M / Ryzen 5600G 4.4Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 24.5TB HD/ Vega 7 / fc39.x86_64
    Embedded: ASUS Tinkerboard / ARM RK3288 1.8 GHz x4/ 2GB / 32GB SD/ Mali-T764/ deb12.armhf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put the .iso file on my usb and right-clicked on a blank space in the file manager (in the usb directory) and opened the terminal in here.
    it said

Code:
    laptop name/username: /media/username/C$
    There I put in the command
    Code:
    dd if=Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-25-1.3.iso of=/dev/sdb
    again

The message i got:
    Code:
    dd: could not open '/dev/sdb': no permission
    (sorry again translated from german)

How do I get/grant permission to open this? Do I have to sudo oder su? (if su how exactly can i get su permissions, again im not very experienced but eager to learn )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CD to the parent directory, then don't forget the ./(image name)

You can try etcher.io instead of dd

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please list the partitions that you defined.

You mentioned that it was an older PC. Did you see biosboot, /boot , /, swap and /home partitions?

From your posting, the installer could not find /boot. /boot could use 1024megs (1 gig) space, as well as biosboot requiring 1024 megs at the front of the disk.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It worked with etcher.io
    Now it looks like I am able to install Fedora

The partitions I want to define:

/swap 5 GiB
    /boot 500 MiB ext4
    /boot/efi 500 MiB
    / ext4
    /var 4 GiB ext4 (I read somewhere that the /var is needed. Is that true or can i let it aside?)

Now i get the message
    "For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi
    "

And it tells me that I did not define a swap partition (which I did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A separate /var is not required, but server ops like one. Consider ReiserFS for /var

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65196

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay thanks. Everything seems to work now except the /boot/efi partition. I still get this error:
    "For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi"

Anybody knows about this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into that issue because the installation doesn't let you do a lot of stuff in custom mode. I believe I have a thread about the issue.

I ultimately got around it by letting the system do its thing and then come back into custom mode and change the numbers. Yes, it is a waste of time, but I ultimately got the disk setup that I wanted. BTW, I'm using a SSD for /boot and /. /home is on a separate 4TB HDD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a trip, but read these

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-how-do-i-know
    http://linuxbsdos.com/2011/09/18/gui...ions-in-linux/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all of you who helped me. I finally managed to get it working pretty good. Thanks for helping a newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A separate /var is not required, but server ops like one. Consider ReiserFS for /var
    ReiserFS ? Really. Do you know what year this is ? The thread you posted was from Feb 2009, over 8 years ago, and they are already talking about reiserfs dying.

For those unaware Hans Reiser killed his wife in 2006 and was charged soon after. He is serving a life sentence. ReiserFS has been unsupported since then and was already dying in Feb 2009.

From your posting, the installer could not find /boot. /boot could use 1024megs (1 gig) space, as well as biosboot requiring 1024 megs at the front of the disk.
    A BIOS Boot partition only requires 1 MiB not 1 GiB (1024 megs). Also it only needs to be located ahead of the /boot partition. It doesn't have to be at the start of the disk. I have a dual boot SSD with Centos 7 and Fedora 24. The two BIOS Boot partitions are at sdb1 and sdb8. They can be located anywhere but should be just before the /boot partition.

Also ./boot needs only about 500 MiB.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

jpenguin please don't post links to outdated partitioning guides which may actually be more of a hindrance than help. Information from 2009 to 2012 is not really pertinent in 2017. Storage technology, file systems and operating systems have moved on a lot in the years that have passed since.

ReiserFS was pretty rubbish anyhow, XFS or Ext4 should be used instead for server.

RHEL 7 recommendation in their documentation is that /boot is 1GiB because the kernels are getting larger these days. Indeed if you just let anaconda do it's own thing in CentOS 7, that is exactly what you end up with. I'll check the actual usage tomorrow when I have the desktop on (there are two kernels installed). Therefore Leslie's logic is kind of correct in that the same should apply to currently supported Fedora versions now too.

Tomorrow I'll post some space usage figures.

6.14.4.5. RECOMMENDED PARTITIONING SCHEME

Red Hat recommends that you create separate file systems at the following mount points on AMD64 and Intel 64 systems:
    /boot
    / (root)
    /home
    swap

/boot partition - recommended size at least 1 GiB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast