<---- template headericclude ----->
A new catch 22 Yahoo vs Gmail
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new catch 22 Yahoo vs Gmail

Security improvements are important, but then...

Yahoo.com requires either a cellphone access, phone number access or a second email address as a way to confirm a password for the mail

Gmail, I believe, requires the same security protocol.

I installed a new Linux version, and went to my gmail account
    I asked that it send the prompt for the security key (to enable me to set the gmail password) to my yahoo.com account.

I opened a new browser tab to yahoo.com, and would you believe, yahoo.com's security protocol asks me to visit my gmail account to retrieve the yahoo security key so that I could set the password to my liking.

x requires y access, but y requires x access.

Catch 22.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

hiGuys Guest

Re: A new catch 22 Yahoo vs Gmail

They really want the phone number to facilitate real time location tracking... Resistance is futile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't gonna comment, cuz I wanna keep any politics out of this forum, however, we have to remember, that LINUX stands for freedom from oppression, freedom of expression, freedom of creation, freedom of mind.
    And that is why I oppose such draconian NSA things like SElinux, etc.
    Don't let the hydra suck fedora linux into it's tentacles guys and gals !!!!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use authentication with my Google account and have their authenticator app. Sometimes it is necessary to reset the smartphone so I have a printed sheet with recovery codes locked away in a fireproof cabinet I can use to gain access.

There are also other ways of making sure if you have forgotten your password and cannot gain access to the email account you established as recovery contact address it is still possible.

Yahoo having improved authentication measures now is a bit like fitting a lock to the stable after the horse bolted.

And bobx001 you are right to not post anything political in the forum. It's in the forum rules and posting guidelines as one of the things that is not acceptable behaviour for obvious reasons. We don't want a flame war starting in here, people have very strong views on politics so heated arguments are pretty much guaranteed. That's why it's a prohibited topic of discussion.

You can however discuss politics and religious beliefs for that matter as well in the Community section. Any continued discussion regarding political matters or religion will result in threads being closed in the main forum.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gmail doesn't require your cell phone number, they just offer the option and there is a place to skip it.

Two factor authentication does have the advantage of adding a layer of security but the disadvantage of giving Google your phone number, (which they probably have anyway, but at least you don't have to tie it to your main gmail account.)

I remember when I first got a smart phone and saw that everyone I'd ever emailed on my gmail account (when first opening a smart phone account I used my main one) was suddenly in my list of contacts. Now, to many people, this sort of thing is a great convenience. I don't use my phone for email though, so for me, it isn't a good thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also skip the phone # in Yahoo. Just leave it blank and click the 'looks good' button.I have Yahoo and Gmail as secondary and... thirddary? email accounts, but use them little and have nothing important there, so If I got locked out of my account it wouldn't be the huge earth-shattering deal they both make it out to be.

Some of the security measures websites use are good but some are ridiculous. I normally log in to Twitter on Chromium but occasionally use Firefox, and every time I do I get an email warning me of a 'new login from Firefox on Linux'. I've logged in to Twitter maybe a hundred times on Firefox and get that warning email every single time.

I think the location the login originates from or the machine you are using is meaningless. If you have the proper credentials it should be none of their business if you log in from home, a library, or from an old Commodore 64 you found at McMurdo station in Antarctica.
    I know things. It's what I do.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the location and time of new login activity is given so that you can tell if someone else has hacked into your account via receiving the warning email and do something about it but the location data can be hit and miss anyway.

if you set your browser to clear cache on exit, you get more of these email warnings but also if your ISP uses dynamic rather than fixed IP addresses as mine does it throws up some interesting location data occasionally.

dropbox is the worst example of this. i use it to share some files with fellow gamers i'm in a team with and create game object skins for. pretty much every login always generates a warning email regardless of operating system used

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    the location and time of new login activity is given so that you can tell if someone else has hacked into your account
    I understand why they do it, I just think so many of their 'security measures' are all but useless and nothing but a PIA. I recently bought a new tablet and while I was setting it up I got an email on my laptop from Google saying "There was a sign in to your account from a device we don't recognize." I was in my house using my home ISP which uses static IP addresses.

Maybe part of it is that they always know where I am and which of my machines I'm using. I'm used to that, but it still feels wrong.
    I know things. It's what I do.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My frustration was due to a stupid event. I left my cellphone at home and went to a computer club where I showed retirees how to install Fedora25. And of course not having my cellphone or the home phone beside me, whn I went to display gmail or yahoo mail, both Google «---» Yahoo point to each other, so, I was unable to work through the password resolution at the club.

Never leave home without your cellphone is the new rule. And by the way, many seniors do not want to carry a cellphone. They drive Cadillacs and call the pocket phone the hellphone. Their response, what the xxxx do I need to be disturbed by a wrong number. I ran my business with a regular telephone was the typical answer I got.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use my smartphone security app's block list for numbers I find are spam calls. Android Nougat 7.1.1 which it runs has the same built in but I prefer the way the app's list options work.

I answer unknown numbers because I use the phone for business.

My Grandmother now has a notebook, gmail and skype accounts. Given she is in her 90s, partially sighted and actively avoided owning a computer for years it's an interesting time to get started.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop giving those Yahoos your data to be stolen &/or sold! Get simple web mail like gmx.com it works great on the desktop or mobile.