<---- template headericclude ----->
Able to create liveUSB but when I select as boot first device I get errors
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Able to create liveUSB but when I select as boot first device I get errors

I'm on Windows 10. I am not able to disable secure boot within UEFI. I did disable fast boot.

I created the liveUSB using linux live, or lili.

When I boot into UEFI I select the media from the boot menu, but without changing the boot order permanently. I get two options: Either to test the media or to run Fedora 25 cinnamon. On test I got a stack frame error.

On start I got
    error: invalid magic number
    error: kernel may have to be loaded first

i decided to test the media again and got the same two errors as above

what am I doing wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Able to create liveUSB but when I select as boot first device I get errors

We need to help this guy, he comes from Win$, and needs to come to us LOL.

Question 1: is the option of "Legacy Boot" available in your BIOS ?
    Question 2: what kind of PC is that ? Laptop ? specs ?

EDIT: also, I recommend a lighter FC25 version to begin with, say an LXDE spin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I'm not sure. How would I check?
    2. it's a desktop.
    CPU: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.0GHz
    RAM: 16gb
    Video card: Geforce 970 GTX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poked around, doesn't look like there's a legacy boot option. I can select "other OS", and I tried that, and was getting double free issues with an anvalid stack frame afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I have used Linux mint before, and am a CS major. What would LXDE offer me that Cinnamon wouldn't?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYoungCS
    Also I have used Linux mint before, and am a CS major. What would LXDE offer me that Cinnamon wouldn't?
    Just smaller footprint. I am just saying, so that you get faster bootups, and smaller USB sticks.
    Is there a chance that you can take a photo of your boot error, with your mobile phone, and post it here ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, trying this the other day all I got was the double free error. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LXDE is a minimal desktop so it would offer far less and you'd probably find it ugly in comparison to Cinnamon visually but it will run faster. since your machine isn't lacking hardware resources I'd stick with trying to get Cinnamon running.

'Other OS' is the legacy support option for your machine, however it is not necessary to use it with Fedora as it has a secure boot shim. Turning off fast boot is though from experience. Also check for any UEFI firmware updates from your system's manufacturer (if built by an OEM) that reference problems booting Linux. If you self-built then of course head to the mainboard manufacturer's site for that.

If the USB stick repeatedly fails, I'd suggest it isn't being written properly by the programs you have tried so far. Try using the Fedora Media Writer or failing that rufus instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, trying this the other day all I got was the double free error. Any ideas?

Ooopsalaaaa ! that looks like an evil error. Could you try to create a 32bit Live USB stick instead ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry everyone for the slow responses. I did take photos of the errors on my phone and could get them on here, but I have been busy with school and work. I found a work around to my problem by using bash on windows, which gives me the programming environment I need, for now, and will serve me until I make graphical applications.

I don't want to mark this as solved, is it ok just to close the thread for now?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no need to close, it can be left open indefinitely until you feel the urge to try again sometime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have run into these problems a few times myself. I have found that lili (LinuxLive USB Creator) doesn't work nearly as well as it used too. 9 times out of ten, I run into problems with various distributions, not just Fedora, so it's not a Fedora issue.

I personally would use Rufus, it's quick, it's easy, and can be run from a Windows Box just like lili. Though, if it pops up and asks, choose dd image. Whenever it's an option, choose that. You lose the ability to have any kind of "persistence" held on the USB drive, but you will have less problems on most linux installations.

When booting from the thumb drive, if you are still getting errors, try going into the extra options, if I remember right, it's "Troubleshooting" on Fedora, and choose the alternate display option. Sometimes the live image, just doesn't know what to do with your video card, and the alternate video option will get you past that.

As a side note, I saw some one mention LXDE for a desktop instead of Cinnamon, so I wanted to toss my preference out as well. I personally like XFCE, and although the default for it is somewhat ugly, if you spend about thirty seconds on it, you can make it look absolutely smexy.