FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 19 -> 20 fedup doesn't recognise Linux RAID

    I have just (re)installed Fedora 19 and am now attempting to upgrade to 20 using fedup. Download of the fedup packages went fine but on booting into the upgrade it drops to a dracut shell, complaining that the root and swap partitions cannot be found.

    I have /boot on a Linux RAID 1 partition, and /, swap & the rest in an LVM vg on another RAID 1. There is also a RAID 6 storage array which isn't involved in the system setup. I can boot back into Fedora 19 (kernel 3.9.5-301) without problem. The grub.cfg menu entry for fedup is identical to that for FC19, including all UUID / MDUUID values and apart from the obvious differences in vmlinuz and initramfs settings.

    blkid from the dracut prompt shows all the partitions, which are correctly identified as Linux RAID members, but no /dev/mdx RAID arrays. I have been working on this system on and off for about a year, reinstalling several times and upgrading from (I think) Fedora 17. However the mdadm RAID arrays and LVM vgs have been there from the start, and there has never been any problem with anything recognising them.

    Anyone seen anything like this, or any idea why it's going wrong now? I saw some similar Bugzilla reports, but they seemed to be for fedup from a year or two back so I assumed they would be fixed by now.

    Thanks in advance,
    Andrew
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 - AMD FX-6100 - 2 x 2GB PC6400 - Asus Radeon HD 4670 - Hauppauge WinTV Go! BT878 - Hauppauge HVR-2200

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 19 -> 20 fedup doesn't recognise Linux RAID

    Well, after I reorganised my mdadm.conf file to use UUIDs throughout I was at least able to boot from the "fedup" grub option. However, while the RAID 1 /boot and system-related partions were recognised, the system booted the fedup kernel image (3.11.something.fc20) but then carried on to load FC19 instead of proceeding to upgrade. It also still didn't recognise the RAID 6, but (somehow) started each member partition as an individual RAID, the first one being /dev/md2 and the rest being /dev/md127 down to /dev/md123. I was able to stop these and then reassemble the "real" /dev/md2 though.

    mdadm.conf:
    Code:
    # mdadm.conf written out by anaconda
    MAILADDR root
    AUTO +imsm +1.x -all
    ARRAY /dev/md/localhost.localdomain:0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=004405f6:41912a19:4858597a:0aad2e6e
    ARRAY /dev/md/localhost.localdomain:1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=1d2049af:7876336f:a6373c2d:76575396
    ARRAY /dev/md/localhost.localdomain:2 level=raid6 num-devices=6 UUID=86adbf1c:c318751b:8dad1243:6e89715a
    While fedup does build mdadm.conf into initramfs, it is the current copy at the time of running the pre-install fedup command, and so doesn't include any changes made between then and trying to boot into fedup. Memo to self to remember that in future.

    The failure to start the upgrade seems to have been due to boot arguments missing "systemd.unit=system-upgrade.target". This Bugzilla case https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1038863 describes my symptoms exactly, even though I was on fedup 0.8.0. Once I added that the upgrade to FC20 proceeded as expected, and the RAID 6 is recognised as normal.

    I don't know if the issue with the boot arguments is related to RAID, but fedup still seems to be very sensitive about existing RAID configuration. I'll update the Bugzilla report to cover this.

    Hope this may be of help to someone,
    Andrew
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 - AMD FX-6100 - 2 x 2GB PC6400 - Asus Radeon HD 4670 - Hauppauge WinTV Go! BT878 - Hauppauge HVR-2200

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th December 2012, 02:19 PM
  2. Fedora installer doesn't recognise existing partitions
    By OtterNZ in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th June 2012, 03:34 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd February 2010, 11:42 PM
  4. Fedora 9 doesn't recognise SD card in eeePC
    By dj_judas21 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd October 2008, 12:32 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th October 2007, 02:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •